How to design a boost converter from 5v to 24v

In summary, the student has a problem understanding the first step of designing a boost converter circuit - How to step up the voltage from 5v to 24v. They are looking for help from anyone who can help. He has used google search and found a number of tutorials and circuits that use the NE555 as a boost converter. He is confused about the feedback used in the LT1170 circuit. There are many traditional boost converter topologies that the student should learn more about in order to make an informed decision about which one to use in their project.
adila
hello..im final year student..i have some problem that i doesn't know how the first step to design the boost converter circuit which is step up the voltage from 5v reach at 24 volt..anybody can help me..:smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
adila said:
hello..im final year student..i have some problem that i doesn't know how the first step to design the boost converter circuit which is step up the voltage from 5v reach at 24 volt..anybody can help me..:smile:

Welcome to the PF. We don't do your projects for you, but can offer help if you have something specific that you don't understand. What learning resources have you used so far? Have you read the pages at wikipedia.org and at the PS IC manufacturers pages? (Maxim, Linear Technology, National Semiconductor)

What specific questions do you have about boost converters? Link to a web page with a schematic, and tell us what you find confusing...

i already read the passage at wikipedia but I am still have no idea to start design the circuit..am i wrong if i used the LT1170 component to step up the voltage until 24v?This information i get from Linear Technologies data sheet.

There are circuits around that use the ubiquitous NE555 for boost converters. The 555 is a lot easier to find and a lot cheaper than the LT1170. You can find some 555 boost converter circuits on the web. The NE555 is a very versatile chip, and has been around since the early 1970's. Learn to use the 555. It will solve a lot of your circuit problems.

Bob S said:
There are circuits around that use the ubiquitous NE555 for boost converters. The 555 is a lot easier to find and a lot cheaper than the LT1170. You can find some 555 boost converter circuits on the web. The NE555 is a very versatile chip, and has been around since the early 1970's. Learn to use the 555. It will solve a lot of your circuit problems.

I haven't seen that before, Bob. Is the feedback bang-bang? The OP probably should be looking at more traditional feedback loops, I would think...?

adila said:
i already read the passage at wikipedia but I am still have no idea to start design the circuit..am i wrong if i used the LT1170 component to step up the voltage until 24v?This information i get from Linear Technologies data sheet.

Yeah, the 1170 is a good candidate. What would you look into to make the output voltage 24V instead of the 12V example on the first page of the datasheet? What form of feedback does the 1170 use?

yes..the data sheet only shown how to increase the output voltage to 12V..i just give the example to know whether LT1170 can be used or not instead to step the voltage into 24V..I'm so confusing right now..please help me..thanks everybody..

adila said:
yes..the data sheet only shown how to increase the output voltage to 12V..i just give the example to know whether LT1170 can be used or not instead to step the voltage into 24V..I'm so confusing right now..please help me..thanks everybody..

What learning resources do you have? Please do not consider us a design resource for your school projects. That's not what the PF is about.

I googled boost converter tutorial, and got lots of good hits. Read through some of those, and post a specific question here with a link if you still are having trouble.

http://www.google.com/search?source...4GGLL_enUS301US302&q=boost+converter+tutorial

From Bob S
berkeman said:
I haven't seen that before, Bob. Is the feedback bang-bang? The OP probably should be looking at more traditional feedback loops, I would think...?
I modeled one in SPICE, and it worked OK, but there were some very disturbing overvoltage surges at turn-on. So, back to the LT1170 for now.
Bob S

Bob S said:
I modeled one in SPICE, and it worked OK, but there were some very disturbing overvoltage surges at turn-on. So, back to the LT1170 for now.
Bob S

Bang-bang feedback is okay in many applications. I've used it in Buck topologies before, but I don't know if there are special considerations in Boost topologies.

In any case, the OP should learn all about the traditional topologies and short-cuts to them, and the trade-offs. And report back here!

I found a LT1170 5-volt-to-12-volt boost circuit in the LTSpice IV folder and tried to get 24 volts out of it by changing the feedback resistors and the inductance, but it would go only to 18 volts. I think the OP should review transformer-coupled flyback designs also. Look in the jigs folder in the examples folder in the LTC program folder for the 1170 boost circuit.

Maybe give National Semiconductor's Webench power design tool a try...

http://www.national.com/analog/webench/power [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob S said:
Perhaps but I doubt this OP is a professional engineer planning to ship quantity 1000 of more units, so the cost of the parts of is trivial, and likely the value of his/her time is not. The LT1170 takes care of everything except the magnetics, caps, and power diode. More importantly, a very common first mistake in designing switchers is to underestimate parasitics when wiring or laying out the components, especially between the power switch and an external controller, so combining the two reduces the chance for a problem there.

Flyback rules, boost and buck drools.

mheslep said:
Flyback rules, boost and buck drools.

But when it comes to minimum cost for non-isolated converters... :smile:

berkeman said:
But when it comes to minimum cost for non-isolated converters... :smile:
Yep, minimum cost, most flexibility, least hassle.

1. How does a boost converter work?

A boost converter is a type of power supply circuit that converts a lower voltage input to a higher voltage output. It uses an inductor, a switch (usually a transistor), and a diode to store and release energy from the input source, resulting in a higher voltage output.

2. What is the typical efficiency of a boost converter?

The efficiency of a boost converter can vary, but it is typically around 85-95%. This means that for every 100 watts of input power, the boost converter will output 85-95 watts of usable power.

3. How do I choose the right components for a 5v to 24v boost converter?

When designing a boost converter, it is important to carefully select the inductor, transistor, and diode based on the desired input and output voltages, as well as the required current and efficiency. There are many online resources and calculators available to assist with this process.

4. Can I use a boost converter for high power applications?

Yes, boost converters can be used for high power applications. However, it is important to select components that can handle the required current and power, and to properly design the circuit to minimize losses and maximize efficiency.

5. What are the key factors to consider when designing a boost converter?

When designing a boost converter, it is important to consider the input and output voltages, desired current and efficiency, choice of components, and circuit design to ensure proper functionality and reliability. Other factors to consider may include cost, size, and specific application requirements.