Understanding Simple Kinematics: Solving for Velocity in Resisted Motion

• Thread starter bcjochim07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
So, the integral method is used to find the velocity.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity of horizontal motion in a medium with a retarding force proportional to velocity. While the kinematic equation v = vo + at seems applicable, the acceleration is not constant in this scenario. Therefore, the book uses integrals to solve for the velocity, which makes more sense in this case due to the constantly changing force.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

I should know this, but it's been awhile since I've dealt w/ kinematics.

As the simplest example of resisted motion of a particle, find the velocity of horizontal motion in a medium in which the retarding force is proportional to velocity.

So Fr is something like -kmv, where k is a constant.

I'm tempted to use v=vo+at in this manner:

ma=-kmv, so a = -kv
then v=vo-kvt
v(1+kt)=vo
v=vo/(1+kt)

But my book uses integrals:
mdv/dt=-kmv
int(dv/v)=-k*int(dt)
lnv=-kt+C , v= c1e^-kt where (c1=e^C) and applying initial conditions you get
v=vo*e^-kt
and this makes a lot of sense to me.

So could somebody please refresh me on why I cannot solve for a and substitute into v=vo+at? I'm thinking it has to do with the constantly changing force, but I'm looking for a good explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kinematic equation v = vo + at is applicable to a motion having constant acceleration. But in the given problem acceleration is not constant.

Your approach using v=vo+at assumes a constant acceleration, which is not the case in this scenario. The retarding force is proportional to velocity, which means that as the velocity changes, so does the force and therefore the acceleration. This means that the acceleration is not constant and cannot be solved for using the equation a=v/t.

Instead, the correct approach is to use the equation F=ma, where F is the retarding force and m is the mass of the particle. In this case, the retarding force is -kmv, so we can rewrite the equation as ma=-kmv. From here, we can use the equation v=vo+at to solve for the velocity as a function of time.

Integrating both sides of the equation ma=-kmv with respect to time, we get m∫a dt=-km∫v dt. Since we know that a= dv/dt, this becomes m∫dv= -km∫v dt. Integrating both sides again, we get mv=-km∫v dt+C, where C is a constant of integration. This can be rearranged to get v=vo*e^-kt, where vo is the initial velocity at time t=0.

In summary, using the equation F=ma and integrating with respect to time allows us to solve for the velocity as a function of time in a scenario where the retarding force is proportional to velocity. This approach takes into account the changing force and acceleration, unlike the v=vo+at equation which assumes a constant acceleration.

1. What is simple kinematics and how does it relate to velocity?

Simple kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object as it moves. In the context of solving for velocity in resisted motion, simple kinematics allows us to understand how an object's velocity changes over time when it is being acted upon by a resisting force.

2. What is resisted motion and why is it important in kinematics?

Resisted motion refers to the movement of an object that is being acted upon by a force that opposes its motion. This can include friction, air resistance, or any other force that causes the object to slow down. It is important in kinematics because it affects the object's velocity and requires additional calculations to determine the object's motion.

3. How do you solve for velocity in resisted motion?

To solve for velocity in resisted motion, you will need to use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. You will also need to consider the resisting force, usually represented by the letter R, and use the equation F = ma to determine the acceleration. Once you have all the necessary values, you can plug them into the first equation to solve for the final velocity.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving for velocity in resisted motion?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for the resisting force in the calculations. This can lead to incorrect values for acceleration and final velocity. Another mistake is using the wrong formula, such as using the equation v = u + at for an object with constant acceleration, when you should be using the equation v = u + 0.5at^2.

5. How can understanding simple kinematics and solving for velocity in resisted motion be applied in real-world situations?

Understanding simple kinematics and solving for velocity in resisted motion is important in many real-world situations, such as calculating the speed of a car when driving in different road conditions or determining the maximum speed of a rollercoaster at different points in its track. It is also useful in sports, such as calculating the speed of a baseball as it is thrown or understanding the motion of a ball as it bounces on the ground. Additionally, simple kinematics is essential in engineering and design, where it is used to analyze the movement of machines and structures.