Why are some equations not rendered properly ?

• Thread starter mumchumba
  • Start date
In summary, members of Physics Forums use a standard equation rendering engine, but many equations do not render properly, causing frustration. This is not due to any required plugins, as the equations are displayed as pictures. However, when browsing in "archive mode", equations are not rendered at all, but switching to "normal mode" allows for proper rendering. Some posters may also make mistakes in their use of LaTeX, causing equations to appear clunky.
mumchumba
As I browse through these forums I keep encountering, more often than not, equations where the markup has not rendered properly making the equations very difficult to read.

I imagine Physics Forums has a standard equation rendering engine integrated into this forum website, and I assume members endeavour to use this script equations for this rendering engine. So why then do most equations not render properly ?

Is there a plugin required ? I'm using Firefox latest version.

It really is most frustrating.

Cheers...

Physics news on Phys.org
Give example of the page where the equations doesn't render OK. I recall there were some problems with LaTeX engine, but I thought they have been overcomed.

And no need for any plugins, these are displayed just as pictures.

[tex]x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

If threads are seen in 'archive' mode LaTeX is not rendered at all. However, these threads can be still browsed in standard mode, like here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=311043

(note: thread number is the same as seen in url in the archive mode)

and then equations are rendered properly.

I see, so the archives won't render the equations but standard browsing will...thankyou so much for highlighting that. I shall now crawl back under my rock :-)

Cheers...

You can switch from "archive mode" to "normal mode" by clicking on the link that follows "View Full Version:" at the top of an archive page. The equations will then display normally, unless of course the poster made a mistake in his LaTeX.

In the first example you posted, some of the equations look clunky in "normal mode" because the poster didn't use LaTeX consistently, but the other two are OK.

Thanks to both of you for the help and sorry it wasn't evident to me initialy.

Cheers...

1. Why do equations sometimes appear distorted or not render at all?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that the equation contains unsupported symbols or characters. Another possibility is that the equation was entered incorrectly or there is a formatting error. Additionally, the software or platform being used may not support rendering equations.

2. How can I ensure that my equations are rendered correctly?

To ensure proper rendering, it is important to use a compatible software or platform that supports equations. It is also important to double-check the equation for any errors or unsupported symbols. In some cases, it may be necessary to use a different equation editor or tool.

3. Why do equations appear differently on different devices or platforms?

Different devices and platforms may use different software or tools to render equations, which can result in variations in appearance. Additionally, some devices may not support certain equation formats, leading to differences in rendering.

4. Can equations be rendered in all types of documents?

No, not all document types support rendering equations. For example, plain text documents may not have the capability to render equations, while certain software or platforms may not support equation rendering in all document types. It is important to check the capabilities of the document type and software being used.

5. How can I fix equations that are not rendering properly?

If equations are not rendering properly, it may be helpful to check for any errors or unsupported symbols in the equation. It may also be necessary to use a different equation editor or tool, or to switch to a different software or platform that supports equation rendering. In some cases, it may be necessary to manually adjust the equation formatting for proper rendering.