Change Usernames: Is it Possible?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter uzair_ha91
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of changing usernames on the platform and suggests different ways to address this issue, such as including a warning in the sign-up process or creating an FAQ about username changes. It is also mentioned that name change requests are infrequent and are usually handled well by the Admins.
uzair_ha91
Is it possible to change our usernames? (Didn't think too much about mine when I created it)

Physics news on Phys.org
Last I remember, yes it is possible.

Email or PM an admin with your request and new choice of username.

This subject is like a bad penny; it just keeps coming back. Perhaps there should be something about it in the rules? Or in a sticky? Or maybe a strong warning in the explanation before choosing a username?

It doesn't come up very often, so probably doesn't warrant a stickie. Just PM a Mentor in the forums you frequent, and if that doesn't get a response soon, Report one of your posts to make the request.

Actually, I think it does come up pretty often. I agree with Lisab. If there's a way to put a more detailed explanation or warning into the sign-up process, that would be the best approach. Otherwise, I think we need an FAQ link back with information about username changes in it. We used to have an FAQ link, but it has disappeared, and might have mostly included outdated FAQs. Or, maybe it can be put into the library?

Well, based on the number of warnings the Mentors issue to new posters about not reading the rules, I'm skeptical about adding anything there making any difference. We get about 1 name change request per quarter, which seems to be handled fairly well by the Admins, IMO.

1. Can I change my username on all platforms?

It depends on the specific platform and their policies. Some platforms may allow you to change your username at any time, while others may have restrictions or limitations.

2. Will changing my username affect my account or profile?

In most cases, changing your username will not have any major impact on your account or profile. However, it is always a good idea to check the platform's terms and conditions beforehand.

3. How do I change my username on different platforms?

The process for changing your username may vary across different platforms. In general, you can usually find the option to change your username in your account or profile settings.

4. Is there a limit to the number of times I can change my username?

Again, this depends on the platform's policies. Some platforms may allow you to change your username multiple times, while others may have a limit or charge a fee for changing your username.

5. Will changing my username affect my followers or connections?

In most cases, changing your username will not affect your followers or connections. They will still be able to find and interact with your account using your new username.