Momentum: A bullet passing through a wooden block on a frictionless surface

In summary, the projectile with mass of 2 g broke through the center of gravity of the wooden block and with a final velocity of 223.6 m/s.
mmoadi

Homework Statement

A wooden block with a length of 10 cm and a mass of 1 kg lies on an icy plane. A projectile with mass of 2 g hits the wooden block with velocity of 300 m/s and breaks through its center of gravity. How much are the final velocities of the wooden block and the projectile? While moving through the wooden block, the projectile worked on it with a force of 500 N. This is a frictionless system.

Homework Equations

KE= ½ mv²
p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

KE= F*d=50 J
KE= ½ m(1)v(final)² → v(1-final)²= 2KE/ m(1)
v(1-final)= 223.6 m/s

Conservation of the momentum:
m(1)v(1-initial) + m(2) v(2-initial) = m(1)v(1-final) + m(2) v(2-final)
v(2-final)= [m(1)v(1-initial) + m(2) v(2-initial) - m(1)v(1-final)] / m(2)
v(2-final)= 0.15 m/s

Is my approach to the problem and calculations correct?
Thank you for helping!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your energy balance equation is incorrect. The initial kinetic energy of the bullet KE0, which you can calculate is a certain number of Joules. That number of Joules is divided into three parts

1. Work done by bullet on block (F*d)
2. Final kinetic energy of block.
3. Final kinetic energy of bullet.

Your momentum conservation equation is also incorrect.

Pbefore=Momentum of bullet only
Pafter=Momentum of bullet + momentum of block

"Before" means before the bullet hits the block; "after" means after the bullet has made it through.

So, if I write it like this:

½ m(1)v(1-initial)²= ½ m(1)v(1-final)² + ½m(2)v(2-final)²+F*d

And

m(1)v(1-initial)= m(1)v(1-final) + m(2)v(2-final)

I have the right equations to work with?

Thank you for helping!

Last edited:
Yes, these are the correct equations to start from.

OK, but how do I continue.:confused:
I tried to express v(2-final) with the components of the second formula (conservation of the momentum) and insert it into the first formula (KE) but it just got very complicated and weird.:redface:

Can you give me another hint, please?

mmoadi said:
OK, but how do I continue.:confused:
I tried to express v(2-final) with the components of the second formula (conservation of the momentum) and insert it into the first formula (KE) but it just got very complicated and weird.:redface:

Can you give me another hint, please?

Weird or no weird, that's exactly what you have to do. There are no other hints. You have to solve a system of two equations and two unknowns and you described the correct way to solve it.

Thank you for helping! :smile:
Back to solving my weirdness of equation!:biggrin:

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is: p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What happens to momentum when a bullet passes through a wooden block on a frictionless surface?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external force. As the bullet passes through the wooden block, the block will gain a small amount of momentum in the direction of the bullet's motion, while the bullet will lose an equal amount of momentum in the opposite direction.

4. How does friction affect momentum in this scenario?

In this scenario, we are assuming that the surface is frictionless, meaning there is no external force acting on the objects to slow them down. However, in real-world situations, friction would play a role in reducing the momentum of the objects as they pass through each other.

5. Why is momentum important to understand in the study of physics?

Momentum is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other. It is also a fundamental principle in many areas of physics, such as mechanics and thermodynamics. Understanding momentum allows us to make predictions and calculations about the motion of objects and systems.