Superpositions of electrostatic forces

In summary: K Q0 cos (26.56)) / (2.23)2 = (K Q3 cos(18.43)) / (3.16)2 (K Q0 cos (26.56)) / (2.23)2 = (K Q3 cos(18.43)) / (3.16)2 (K Q0 cos (26.56)) / (2.23)2 = (K Q3 cos(18.43)) / (3.16)2 (K Q0 cos (26.56)) / (2.23)2 = (K Q3 cos(18.43)) / (3.16)2 (K Q0 cos (
raindrops

Homework Statement

Three particles P1, P2, and P3 are located at the points (−2.00, −1.00), (0, 2.00), and (3.00, −1.00), respectively. P1 has a charge of 5.00 μC, but the charges of P2 and P3 are unknown. However, the three particles exert no net force on a charged particle that is placed at the origin. You are asked to find the unknown charges. (a) Use the fact that the net horizontal force on the particle at the origin is zero to find the unknown charge on P3. (b) Then use the fact that the net vertical force on the particle at the origin is zero to find the unknown charge on P2.

Homework Equations

Fnet = (Kq1q2)r2

K = 9*109

The Attempt at a Solution

I am at a loss on where to go with this one. I have tried about 10 different things but keep getting stuck with unsolved variables.

I also attached a drawing i did with some numbers for angles and such that i came up with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• phys.png
    phys.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
From the given hint you can write
K*Q*Q1*cosθ1/(d1)^2 =k*Q* Q3*cosθ3/(d3)^2. where q is the charge at the center.You have already found θ1 and θ3. So find Q3.
Similarly
kQ*Q2/(d2)^2 =K*Q*Q1*sinθ1/(d1)^2 + k*Q* Q3*sinθ3/(d3)^2. Find Q2.

This is one of the methods I used and I kept coming up with 9*10-6 which is wrong so, I don't know what to do. Maybe my math is wrong.

([STRIKE]K[/STRIKE] (5*10-6) [STRIKE]Q0[/STRIKE] cos (26.56)) / (2.23)2 = ([STRIKE]K [/STRIKE]Q3 [STRIKE]Q0[/STRIKE] cos(18.43)) / (3.16)2

What is a superposition of electrostatic forces?

A superposition of electrostatic forces occurs when two or more electrically charged objects interact with each other. The resulting force is the sum of the individual forces exerted by each object.

How is a superposition of electrostatic forces calculated?

The calculation of a superposition of electrostatic forces involves using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the significance of superpositions of electrostatic forces in physics?

Superpositions of electrostatic forces play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electrically charged particles. They are essential for understanding concepts such as electric fields, electric potential, and capacitance.

Are there any real-life applications of superpositions of electrostatic forces?

Yes, superpositions of electrostatic forces have many practical applications, including in electronic devices such as capacitors, transistors, and microchips. They are also used in various medical equipment, such as MRI machines, which use electric fields to create images of the human body.

Can superpositions of electrostatic forces be observed in everyday life?

Yes, superpositions of electrostatic forces can be observed in various phenomena in our daily lives. Examples include the attraction between clothes in a dryer, the sticking of a balloon to a wall after rubbing it on hair, and the spark that occurs when touching a metal doorknob after walking on a carpet.