NVidia GeForce 8400 GS: BIOS Settings, Driver, DirectX, GPU Benchmarking

• Thread starter rahulkhajuria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    nvidia
In summary, the conversation discusses a XFX GeForce 8400 GS graphics card with a 512 MB Ram and 6.14.11.8160 NVidia ForceWare 181.60 driver version. The card is called a GPU and is installed in an AMD Athalon 64 X2 5200+ CPU with an Asus M2N68-AM SE2 motherboard. The BIOS is AMIBIOS and the NVidia Raid Function is disabled. Enabling this function can potentially improve security and speed if you have two or more hard drives. The PnP Aware OS setting is also disabled. For benchmarking the card's graphical abilities, 3dmark05 is recommended. Enabling the aforementioned settings may require a Windows
rahulkhajuria
I have a XFX GeForce 8400 GS with 512 MB Ram . The Driver Version is 6.14.11.8160 NVidia ForceWare 181.60 . (The Bios String is displayed by Everest as Version 62.98.29.00.01 ) GPU CodeName - G98GS . The DirectX HardWare Support is displayed as DirectX V10 .

Question 1) Is this Card called a GPU ?

Question 2) This card is installed in a AMD Athalon 64 X2 5200+ CPU based Machine with Asus M2N68-AM SE2 MotherBoard . The BIOS in the system is AMIBIOS . The NVidia Raid Function under "IDE Configuration" is disabled in the BIOS . I would like to ask what would be the changes if this option is 'enabled' ? Also the PnP Aware OS setting is Disabled . InCase these settings have to be enabled , after enabling them , will the changes only be affected if Windows is re-installed ?

Question 3) Give me some Good BenchMark (Application) where I can really see the difference that this card brings to the Graphical Abilities of my machine .

Computer science news on Phys.org
Question 1) Is this Card called a GPU ?

Yes.

The NVidia Raid Function under "IDE Configuration" is disabled in the BIOS . I would like to ask what would be the changes if this option is 'enabled' ?

This is hardware RAID. If you have 2 or more hard drivers, it can benefit in either of 2 ways --
1) Double the security
2) Double the speed.

Question 3) Give me some Good BenchMark (Application) where I can really see the difference that this card brings to the Graphical Abilities of my machine .

For your card, 3dmark05 will be good.

will the changes only be affected if Windows is re-installed ?

Does it matter? You do it at least once a month!

1. What are the BIOS settings for NVidia GeForce 8400 GS?

The BIOS settings for NVidia GeForce 8400 GS can vary depending on your specific graphics card. However, some common settings include adjusting the clock speed, fan speed, and power limit. It is important to be cautious when changing BIOS settings as it can potentially damage your graphics card.

2. How do I update the drivers for my NVidia GeForce 8400 GS?

To update the drivers for your NVidia GeForce 8400 GS, you can visit the NVidia website and use their driver download tool. Alternatively, you can also use the device manager on your computer to search for and update the drivers. It is recommended to regularly update your drivers to ensure optimal performance.

3. What is DirectX and why is it important for NVidia GeForce 8400 GS?

DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) developed by Microsoft. It is important for NVidia GeForce 8400 GS as it provides a set of tools and resources for developers to create and run graphics-intensive applications and games. It also helps to optimize performance and compatibility for graphics cards.

4. How do I benchmark the performance of my NVidia GeForce 8400 GS?

To benchmark the performance of your NVidia GeForce 8400 GS, you can use various benchmarking software such as 3DMark, Heaven Benchmark, or FurMark. These programs will run a series of tests to measure the graphics card's performance and provide a score for comparison with other cards.

5. Can I use NVidia GeForce 8400 GS for gaming?

While NVidia GeForce 8400 GS is a budget graphics card, it may not be suitable for modern gaming as it may struggle to run graphics-intensive games at high settings. However, it can still be used for older or less demanding games. It is recommended to check the system requirements for specific games before purchasing the graphics card.