Mars Climate Orbiter probe crashed into the surface of Mars

In summary, the conversation discusses the 1998 crash of the Mars Climate Orbiter probe due to a discrepancy in unit systems used by NASA navigators and the probe's makers. The SI unit for force is the Newton (N), while the British unit is the pound (lb). The conversation also provides the conversions for 1 slug and 1 ft in terms of the SI unit system. To find the value of 15.0 N in pounds, the conversion is used to get 14.59 lb, expressed to three significant figures.
Whatupdoc
In 1998, the Mars Climate Orbiter probe crashed into the surface of Mars, instead of entering orbit. The resulting inquiry revealed that NASA navigators had been making minor course corrections in SI units, whereas the software written by the probe's makers implicitly used British units. The unit of force in the SI system is the Newton (N), which is defined in terms of basic SI units as 1 N = 1 kg * m/s^2. The unit of force in the British system is the pound (lb), which is defined in terms of the slug (British unit of mass), foot (ft), and second as 1 lb = 1 slug * ft/s^2.

Find the value of 15.0 N in pounds. Use the conversions
1 slug = 14.59 kg and 1ft = 0.3048m. Express your answer in pounds to three significant figures.

i wouldn't say that I am good at unit conversions, but i can do it, but with this question, it just confuses me. can someone help me with this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
1lb=(14.59kg)*(0.3048m)/s^2=(14.59*0.3048)kg*m/s^2=(14.59*0.3048)N
1N=(1/(14.59*0.3048))lb
you should manage the rest..

thanks alot! that helped

What caused the Mars Climate Orbiter probe to crash into the surface of Mars?

The Mars Climate Orbiter probe crashed due to a navigational error caused by a mismatch in measurement units. The spacecraft's thrusters were programmed in English units, while the ground control team was using the metric system.

Was anyone injured or killed when the Mars Climate Orbiter probe crashed into Mars?

No, the Mars Climate Orbiter probe was an unmanned spacecraft. Therefore, no one was injured or killed in the crash.

How much money was lost in the Mars Climate Orbiter mission due to the crash?

The total cost of the Mars Climate Orbiter mission was estimated to be around $327.6 million. However, the actual cost of the mission was not just due to the crash, but also the cost of building and launching the spacecraft.

What was the purpose of the Mars Climate Orbiter mission?

The Mars Climate Orbiter was designed to study the Martian climate, weather patterns, and surface features in order to better understand the planet's past and present habitability. It was also meant to serve as a communication relay for other missions on the surface of Mars.

Has there been any other spacecraft crashes on Mars?

Yes, there have been a few other spacecraft crashes on Mars. Some notable examples include the Mars Polar Lander in 1999 and the European Space Agency's Schiaparelli lander in 2016. However, these crashes were due to technical failures rather than human error.