Gravity in Planets & Stars: Investigating Middle

• Thread starter binbots
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, gravity behaves differently at the center of planets and stars. It is believed that there is a singularity where gravity converges in the middle. However, our understanding of how gravity acts in the center of our own planet is limited. In general relativity, time moves slower at the center of a uniform sphere of mass, but this is affected by rotation.
binbots
What happens to gravity in the middle of planets and stars? Is there some sort of a singularity in the middle where gravity confurgies? Do we have any idea how gravity acts in the middle of our own planet?

Physics news on Phys.org
binbots said:
What happens to gravity in the middle of planets and stars? Is there some sort of a singularity in the middle where gravity confurgies? Do we have any idea how gravity acts in the middle of our own planet?

See here

binbots said:
confurgies?

Eh, what? :confused:

I did a Google search on the word "confurgies" and your post was the only hit! Congratulations! :biggrin:

OK, now I think I see... you meant "converges", right?

binbots said:

At the center of a uniform sphere of mass, there is no net gravitational field from that sphere, since there is an equal amount of force pulling in each direction.

In GR, if you are sitting at the center of a uniform sphere of mass, you have the same situation, but you are somewhat deeper in the sphere's gravitational well, so your time is slower than at the surface of the planet if we ignore rotation.

jtbell said:
Eh, what? :confused:

I did a Google search on the word "confurgies" and your post was the only hit! Congratulations! :biggrin:

OK, now I think I see... you meant "converges", right?

I like it. I'm adding confugies to my dictionary of acceptable spellings to join centrifical force.

Yes, confurgies is a keeper. Nice sounding word without a meaning.

1. How does gravity differ between planets and stars?

Gravity is a fundamental force that is responsible for keeping planets and stars in orbit. The main difference in gravity between planets and stars is their mass and size. Planets have a much smaller mass and size compared to stars, which means their gravitational pull is weaker. Stars, on the other hand, have a larger mass and size, resulting in a stronger gravitational pull.

2. How does gravity affect the motion of objects on planets and stars?

Gravity affects the motion of objects on planets and stars by pulling them towards the center of mass. This results in objects falling towards the surface of the planet or star, known as free fall. The strength of gravity also determines the speed at which objects fall, with larger objects falling faster due to their stronger gravitational pull.

3. How is gravity related to the formation of planets and stars?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the formation of planets and stars. It begins with the collapse of a cloud of gas and dust under its own gravity. As the cloud collapses, it heats up and forms a protostar. The continued contraction of the protostar eventually leads to the formation of a star. In the case of planets, the leftover material from the formation of a star clumps together due to gravity, forming planets.

4. Can gravity be artificially created on planets and stars?

Gravity cannot be artificially created on planets and stars. It is a natural force that exists due to the mass and density of an object. However, on Earth, we can simulate gravity through centrifugal force, such as in amusement park rides or space stations. Scientists are also researching ways to manipulate gravity, but this technology is still in its early stages.

5. How does gravity affect the shape of planets and stars?

Gravity affects the shape of planets and stars by pulling their mass towards the center, creating a spherical shape. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull, resulting in a more spherical shape. Smaller objects, such as asteroids or comets, may have irregular shapes due to their weaker gravitational pull.