Archives/Extracted Files Question

• Thread starter pzona
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of deleting old .rar files from the "downloads" folder in order to free up space on a hard drive. The individual has already extracted the necessary files from the archives and saved them in another location. They ask if deleting the original archives will affect the extracted files, but it is concluded that it should not be a problem. The person sharing their experience also confirms that they regularly delete .rar files after successful extraction without any negative consequences. Therefore, it is safe to delete the .rar files without causing any harm to the extracted files.
pzona
So my hard drive is filling up and I need to make room, and the first thing that came to mind was to delete the old archives (.rar files) from my "downloads" folder. I've already extracted everything I need from them and saved it in a different place. My question is will deleting the original archives affect the files I extracted from them at all?

I don't see why it would be a problem, since if the programs needed both an archive and an extracted folder then the compression process would be kind of useless, but I wanted to make sure. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can delete the .rar files once you extracted all the files successfully from them. I used to delete the .rar file immediately after extraction. I always check if the extraction is successful or not by opening the files before deleting .rar. It won't cause any harm to extracted file.
You can happily delete the .rar files.

Thanks a lot!

1. What are archives and extracted files?

Archives refer to a collection of files or documents that are stored together, usually in a compressed format to save space. Extracted files are the individual files that have been removed from the archive.

2. How do I extract files from an archive?

The process of extracting files from an archive depends on the format of the archive. Generally, you can use a file extraction software or program to extract the files. Some operating systems also have built-in tools for extracting files.

3. What is the purpose of archiving and extracting files?

Archiving helps to organize and store large amounts of files in a more compact format. Extracting files allows you to access and use individual files without having to unarchive the entire collection.

4. Can I edit or modify files in an archive?

It depends on the type of archive and the software used to extract it. Some archives allow you to edit or modify files while others may only allow you to view them.

5. Are there any risks associated with extracting files?

No, extracting files from an archive is generally a safe process. However, it is important to make sure the archive is from a trusted source and to have a good antivirus program installed on your computer to prevent any potential risks.