CDF of the ratio of Poisson and possibly-Poisson R.V.

In summary, the poster has data on integer frequency counts for J possibly-dependent populations over a common timeframe. They are using a Poisson distribution for each population, with the main question being how to find the CDF of one of the Poisson random variables divided by the sum of all J Poisson random variables divided by J. This can be done using a combination of individual moment generating functions and inverse Laplace transformation, but numerical methods such as Monte Carlo simulation or bootstrapping may be simpler. The problem may also simplify if the data are assumed to be independent, but this should be carefully assessed.
flux_factor
Hello,

This is my first post - so let me know if I communicate incorrectly.

To start, note that my thread title may be misleading as to my actual problem. I think it describes my situation, but let me provide background and then restate my problem as I see it, so as to allow for a potentially different interpretation:

I have data that are integer frequency counts for J possibly-dependent populations over a common timeframe.

For each population, I currently assume observations are a sample from a Poisson-distributed random variable (I may allow different populations to follow different distributions such as a Negative Binomial in the future, but I'm only asking about the all-Poisson case in this post).

Main question: I want to find the CDF of the following random variable: one of the Poisson r.v.s divided by {the sum of all J Poisson r.v.'s divided by J}. I would type this in Latex, but I'm having real trouble getting it to show up correctly on the forum, even when referring to
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

I think I can combine the individual moment generating functions and then take the inverse Laplace transformation to find the CDF? Is there another way (is there a simple analytical solution that I'm overlooking)?

Does the problem simplify if the random variables are assumed independent?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your question is an interesting one and I will do my best to provide a helpful response.

First, I would like to clarify that the use of Poisson distribution for your data seems appropriate, as it is commonly used for count data and can handle over-dispersion (which seems to be your concern with potentially using a Negative Binomial distribution).

To answer your main question, finding the CDF of the random variable you described can be done using the method you suggested - combining individual moment generating functions and then taking the inverse Laplace transformation. However, this may be a tedious and complex process.

Alternatively, you can use numerical methods such as Monte Carlo simulation or bootstrapping to estimate the CDF. This approach may be simpler and more feasible, especially if you have a large number of populations.

As for the assumption of independence, if your data are truly independent, then the problem may simplify as the joint moment generating function of independent random variables is the product of their individual moment generating functions. However, it is important to assess the independence of your data before making this assumption.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Good luck with your analysis!

1. What is a CDF and how is it different from a PDF?

A CDF (Cumulative Distribution Function) is a function that shows the probability of a random variable being less than or equal to a given value. It is the integral of the PDF (Probability Density Function) and represents the cumulative probability distribution of a random variable. While the PDF shows the probability of a specific value occurring, the CDF shows the probability of a value being less than or equal to a given value.

2. How is the ratio of two Poisson random variables calculated?

The ratio of two Poisson random variables can be calculated by dividing the lambda (rate) parameter of one Poisson random variable by the lambda parameter of the other. This results in a new random variable that follows a Poisson distribution with a lambda parameter equal to the ratio of the two original lambdas.

3. Can the ratio of two Poisson random variables also be a Poisson random variable?

Yes, the ratio of two Poisson random variables can also be a Poisson random variable. This is because the Poisson distribution is closed under multiplication and division, meaning that the result of these operations will still follow a Poisson distribution.

4. How is the CDF of the ratio of two Poisson random variables calculated?

The CDF of the ratio of two Poisson random variables can be calculated by using the properties of the Poisson distribution. First, the CDF of each individual Poisson random variable is calculated. Then, these two CDFs are convolved (multiplied) together to get the CDF of the ratio of the two Poisson random variables.

5. Can the ratio of a Poisson and a possibly-Poisson random variable also have a CDF?

Yes, the ratio of a Poisson and a possibly-Poisson random variable can also have a CDF. This is because the Poisson distribution is closed under division, so the resulting random variable will still follow a Poisson distribution. Therefore, its CDF can be calculated using the same method as for the ratio of two Poisson random variables.