Why did my computer turn itself on after a power outage?

• Thread starter Quantum-lept
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, my computer booted up when the power switch was turned off. There was a loss of electricity with several partial connections before power was restored. It appeared to be caused by a limb over the line.
Quantum-lept
We just had a storm go through, so i turned off my computer's power. There was a loss of electricity with several partial connections before power was restored. Appeared to be caused by a limb over the line.

When it was all over i looked over and my computer was on and booted up.

Is it possessed??!...Shouldn't my avg take care of possession??!

oh, i have a dell gx-1...:blushing:

Computer science news on Phys.org
It was waking up to ask you to take it with you if you left for a storm shelter.

No storm shelter,,,,i just turn on the force field...

I do not know what the pwr ckts look like in this machine, but i know that it isn't off when the power switch is turned off. So i guess that a spike can make it's way around or through the power switch to initiate bootup...
does that make any sense?...anyone else seen this happen?

Perhaps it was hybernating and a nice thunder clap shook the building enough to startle it awake?

Power switch was in off position...the more i think about it the less i understand how it could have happened, and two times at that.

Maybe i should have put this in electrical engineering forum...

Sometimes there can be settings in the BIOS which tell it to boot.

Look for something like "LAN wakeup/poweron" in the bios.

Thanks...will check out settings in bios...

Quantum-lept said:
We just had a storm go through, so i turned off my computer's power. There was a loss of electricity with several partial connections before power was restored. Appeared to be caused by a limb over the line.

When it was all over i looked over and my computer was on and booted up.

Is it possessed??!...Shouldn't my avg take care of possession??!

oh, i have a dell gx-1...:blushing:

Just tell it to shut-off!

Quantum-lept said:
No storm shelter,,,,i just turn on the force field...

I do not know what the pwr ckts look like in this machine, but i know that it isn't off when the power switch is turned off. So i guess that a spike can make it's way around or through the power switch to initiate bootup...
does that make any sense?...anyone else seen this happen?
you i am suffering with this problem too..

what to do people? i hav been struggling for 2 weeks...

thanx...i wil check out too...

is it a desktop or a laptop?

airborne18 said:
is it a desktop or a laptop?
desktop...

You need to unplug them during storms. It could be that the switch is bad, depending on your box. My HP used to have that problem, it would turn off and then turn right back on. And it was the spring, though now I have seen the power switch connect to the motherboard.

But I think it is your power supply, or your motherboard. Though you would probably hear beep codes if it were the motherboard.

How long does it stay off until it goes back on?

Is your BIOS keeping the correct time on the clock?

Post the model number and mfg. I will check out the specs and poke around the internet. I had this problem several times in my life and once it was the power switch, and the other time it was the power supply.

More than once, I've had my bedroom TV turn on in the middle of the night. It happens when a streetcar goes by.

I think the spark (which is basically an EMP) triggers the remote on circuit.

Heck, my car has started up in the middle of the night! That was a shock...*

* before you go crying "b*ll", note that it had a remote starter installed.

DaveC426913 said:
More than once, I've had my bedroom TV turn on in the middle of the night. It happens when a streetcar goes by.

I think the spark (which is basically an EMP) triggers the remote on circuit.

Heck, my car has started up in the middle of the night! That was a shock...*

* before you go crying "b*ll", note that it had a remote starter installed.

You reminded me, I want to get a clapper.

1. Why does my computer turn itself on?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that your computer's BIOS (basic input/output system) has been set to automatically turn on at a certain time. Another possibility is that there is a scheduled task or program that is causing the computer to turn on. It could also be a hardware issue, such as a faulty power button or a power surge in your home.

2. How can I stop my computer from turning itself on?

If your computer is turning on due to a scheduled task or program, you can check your Task Scheduler or Startup folder to see if there are any programs set to run at specific times. You can also try adjusting your BIOS settings to prevent automatic startups. If it is a hardware issue, you may need to have your computer checked by a technician.

3. Can a virus or malware cause my computer to turn on by itself?

In some cases, yes. Certain malware or viruses can create scheduled tasks or programs to run at specific times, which can cause your computer to turn on. It is important to regularly scan your computer for viruses and malware and keep your operating system and security software up-to-date to prevent these kinds of issues.

4. Is my computer at risk if it turns itself on without my knowledge?

It depends on the cause of the automatic startup. If it is due to a scheduled task or program that you have authorized, then there is likely no risk. However, if it is due to a hardware issue or unauthorized program, it could potentially leave your computer vulnerable to security threats. It is always a good idea to monitor unexpected computer behavior and address any potential issues as soon as possible.

5. Can a power outage cause my computer to turn on by itself?

Yes, a power outage can cause your computer to turn on if it has a feature called "automatic restart after power loss" enabled in the BIOS. This is a safety feature that allows your computer to automatically turn back on after a power outage. If you do not want your computer to turn on automatically after a power outage, you can disable this feature in your BIOS settings.