Basic Mechanical Methods: Recommendations for Engineers

• Thread starter Karol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the speaker is looking for a high level, general book on basic mechanical methods such as calculating forces on rivetted joints and other subjects like welding and bolts. They are not interested in in-depth design but rather principles of force finding. The suggested book is Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design, which covers welding, bolts, and bearings. Other recommended books include Engineering Materials 1 & 2 by Ashby & Jones and Norton's Machine Design: An Integrated Approach.
Karol
I'm interested in learning basic mechanical methods.
For example, calculation of forces on rivetted joints subjected to moment, in which I have to find the joint's center of rotation etc. I'm not interested in in-depth design of the rivet, but merely the force finding principles.
And other subjectes like those: Welds, Bolts, etc.
Can you recommend a high level, general, book?
I'm a mechanical engineer.
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
shigley mechanical design is a great book where you can find about welding , bolts and bearings etc...
the name of the books is :Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design (Mcgraw-Hill Series in Mechanical Engineering)

I'd recommend you get a book on Materials and on Static forces. Engineering Materials 1 & 2 by Ashby & Jones might be a good start as well as Engineering Mechanics: Statics.

Norton's Machine Design: An Integrated Approach is really good.

What are some popular book recommendations for beginners?

Some popular book recommendations for beginners are "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, "1984" by George Orwell, "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, and "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger.

What genres do you recommend for someone looking for a new book?

I would recommend exploring different genres such as mystery, fantasy, science fiction, historical fiction, and self-help as they offer a diverse range of stories and themes.

Can you recommend a book that will make me think?

Yes, I would recommend "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman, "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari, "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho, "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle, and "Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking" by Malcolm Gladwell.

Are there any book recommendations for a specific age group?

Yes, there are many book recommendations for specific age groups. For children, "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak and "Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White are great options. For young adults, "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green and "The Harry Potter" series by J.K. Rowling are popular choices. Adults may enjoy "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins and "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah.

Do you have any recommendations for non-fiction books?

Absolutely, some popular non-fiction book recommendations are "Educated" by Tara Westover, "Becoming" by Michelle Obama, "Atomic Habits" by James Clear, "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot, and "Outliers: The Story of Success" by Malcolm Gladwell.