Intro math textbooks recommendations?

In summary, for self-studying up to calc I level and preparing for intro physics/EE courses, it is recommended to use "Precalculus, 3rd ed by Blitzer", "Precalculus with Limits" by Ron Larson, and "Calculus, 2nd ed by J. Stewart". These books provide a thorough review of Algebra and Trigonometry topics, include a chapter on Limits and a preview of Calculus, and are available for free. Other recommended books include "Algebra and Trigonometry, 3rd ed by Beecher" and "Calculus with Analytic Geometry, 9th ed by Thomas/Finney".
Mathnomalous
Please recommend 1 textbook from each of the following 3 pairs. My plan is to self-study up to calc I level and be well prepared for the intro physics/EE courses before the Spring semester.

Algebra and Trigonometry, 3rd ed by Beecher
Algebra and Trigonometry, 8th ed by Sullivan

Precalculus, 5th ed by R. Larson
Precalculus, 3rd ed by Blitzer

Calculus with Analytic Geometry, 9th ed by Thomas/Finney
Calculus, 2nd ed by J. Stewart

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no need to have an "Algebra and Trigonomety" book AND a "Precalculus" book. They are both very similar. From what I've seen:
(1) Books titled "Algebra and Trigonometry" contain a longer review of Algebra I/II topics than books titled "Precalculus."
(2) Books titled "Precalculus" tend to include a chapter in the end of the book on Limits and a preview of Calculus, while books titled "Algebra and Trigonometry" don't.

Some of the authors you mention above have multiple books in precalculus that contain parts of or "all" of the precalculus material. For instance, here are some of the titles in Ron Larson's series of precalculus books from Houghton Mifflin:
* Precalculus
* Precalculus with Limits
* Precalculus: A Concise Course
* Algebra and Trigonometry
* College Algebra
* Trigonometry
... and there are many more. It's kind of ridiculous. Michael Sullivan has a similar series of precalculus books from Pearson. I don't know about the other authors.

Hey, I get to have them for free. When opportunity knocks...

What are the key factors to consider when recommending an introductory math textbook?

When recommending an introductory math textbook, it is important to consider the level of the intended audience, the scope and depth of the material covered, the approach and style of the textbook, the availability of supplementary resources, and the cost.

What are some highly recommended introductory math textbooks?

Some highly recommended introductory math textbooks include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "A First Course in Abstract Algebra" by John B. Fraleigh, "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay, "Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications" by Kenneth H. Rosen, and "Introduction to Probability" by Dimitri P. Bertsekas and John N. Tsitsiklis.

Are there any free or open-source introductory math textbooks available?

Yes, there are several free or open-source introductory math textbooks available, such as "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, "A First Course in Linear Algebra" by Robert A. Beezer, "Elementary Number Theory: Primes, Congruences, and Secrets" by William Stein, and "A Friendly Introduction to Number Theory" by Joseph H. Silverman.

What are some recommended introductory math textbooks for self-study?

Some recommended introductory math textbooks for self-study include "The Art of Problem Solving" series by Richard Rusczyk, "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang, "The Princeton Companion to Mathematics" edited by Timothy Gowers, "Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics" by Gary Chartrand, and "How to Think About Analysis" by Lara Alcock.

Are there any introductory math textbooks that are suitable for non-mathematics majors?

Yes, there are several introductory math textbooks that are suitable for non-mathematics majors, such as "Mathematics for Non-mathematicians" by Morris Kline, "Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and Its Consequences" by John Allen Paulos, "Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction" by Timothy Gowers, and "An Introduction to Mathematical Thinking" by Keith Devlin.