Moment of intertia of thin disc

In summary: R'. Which is not the case in a disc. All pieces are not equidistant from the center.In summary, the moment of inertia for a disc is equal to the mass divided by the circumference of the disc.
BradP

Homework Statement

This is not a homework question but it could be. I am trying to understand why the moment of inertia of a thin disc about its axis of rotation is 1/2 MR2.
tdisc.gif

Homework Equations

The rotational moment of inertia of a system of points is [tex]^{}\sum[/tex]mr2.

The Attempt at a Solution

However, if you just took one point at radius r and divided its mass into as many points as it took to make a virtual ring with radius r, the result of [tex]^{}\sum[/tex]mr2 is mr2, right? So how is this the equation for a solid disc and not a thin ring?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a mass at a distance 'r' on the disc.

The total moment of intertia of the disc is ∫r2 dm = ∫ r2 σ dA where σ is the mass per unit area.

Now dA is just the circumference of that ring * width of the ring (dr)

So if the radius of the ring is 'r' what is the circumference?

rock.freak667 said:
Consider a mass at a distance 'r' on the disc.

The total moment of intertia of the disc is ∫r2 dm = ∫ r2 σ dA where σ is the mass per unit area.

Now dA is just the circumference of that ring * width of the ring (dr)

So if the radius of the ring is 'r' what is the circumference?

So the integral becomes [tex]\sigma[/tex]∫r2(2*pi*r)*dr.

(I cannot type any more. Whenever I enter a latex symbol it shows up as some random unrelated symbol.)

BradP said:
So the integral becomes [tex]\sigma[/tex]∫r2(2*pi*r)*dr.

(I cannot type any more. Whenever I enter a latex symbol it shows up as some random unrelated symbol.)

Yes and the 'r' varies from 0 to R.

Okay, I see how that works. The sigma*pi*r^2 turns into M. But I still do not see why the concept that I illustrated does not also create 1/2*M*R^2. Suppose you start with a mass M at a distance R from the center. Then you divide that mass into 100 pieces and you equally distribute the pieces around a point in a ring, all at a distance R. The moment of inertia of each piece would be 1/100*1/2*M*R^2. Applying [tex]^{}\sum[/tex]mr2 yields 100*1/100*1/2*M*R^2, which equals 1/2*M*R^2. Isn't that right? How could it be the same?

BradP said:
Okay, I see how that works. The sigma*pi*r^2 turns into M. But I still do not see why the concept that I illustrated does not also create 1/2*M*R^2. Suppose you start with a mass M at a distance R from the center. Then you divide that mass into 100 pieces and you equally distribute the pieces around a point in a ring, all at a distance R. The moment of inertia of each piece would be 1/100*1/2*M*R^2. Applying [tex]^{}\sum[/tex]mr2 yields 100*1/100*1/2*M*R^2, which equals 1/2*M*R^2. Isn't that right? How could it be the same?

Because you are dividing up the mass into equal pieces at the the same radius. So when you sum them up you would get that.

Usually to get the moment of inertia you would start with a small delta element and then form an expression for the inertia of that and then integrate over the entire mass.

rock.freak667 said:
Because you are dividing up the mass into equal pieces at the the same radius. So when you sum them up you would get that.

Yeah, that is what I did. My point is that it created a ring with mass M. So why doesn't the formula work?

Usually to get the moment of inertia you would start with a small delta element and then form an expression for the inertia of that and then integrate over the entire mass.

I used a delta element of 1/100th of the total mass, and I found the expression of the inertia of that as 1/100*M*R^2. I then integrated over the entire ring, from 0 to 2*pi.

BradP said:
I used a delta element of 1/100th of the total mass, and I found the expression of the inertia of that as 1/100*M*R^2. I then integrated over the entire ring, from 0 to 2*pi.

It is best that you use a delta element of mass 'dm' but, with your way, if you take an element of mass 0.01M at a distance of R; then you've divided the mass into 100 pieces and you placed them all at a distance 'R'. Which is not the case in a disc. All pieces are not equidistant from the center.

I know. This is the formula I derived for a ring, not a disc. My question is why I ended up with the same formula as that of a disc. The derivation seems sound to me.

BradP said:
I know. This is the formula I derived for a ring, not a disc. My question is why I ended up with the same formula as that of a disc. The derivation seems sound to me.

you have Idisc = 0.5mr2 and Iring =mr2.

the only time you ended up with mr2 is initially when you took individual elements at equal distances of 'r' and summed them up. That forms a ring and not a disc.

You should not end up with the inertia of the ring when you do it for a disc.

But in your OP, you took one point and subdivided that, which would give you mr2 being the inertia of a point mass.

rock.freak667 said:
you have Idisc = 0.5mr2 and Iring =mr2.

the only time you ended up with mr2 is initially when you took individual elements at equal distances of 'r' and summed them up. That forms a ring and not a disc.

You should not end up with the inertia of the ring when you do it for a disc.

Oh wow, I thought I was getting the same thing. I don't know how I overlooked the (1/2), sorry.

But in your OP, you took one point and subdivided that, which would give you mr2 being the inertia of a point mass.

Well, the point was that I formed a ring by subdividing the point mass, but that doesn't matter anymore.

1. What is the moment of inertia of a thin disc?

The moment of inertia of a thin disc is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a physical property that depends on the distribution of mass within the disc and the distance of that mass from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a thin disc calculated?

The moment of inertia of a thin disc can be calculated using the formula I = (1/2) * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the disc and r is the radius of the disc.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia?

The units of moment of inertia depend on the units used for mass and distance. In the SI system, the standard units are kg*m^2.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a thin disc differ from that of a solid disc?

The moment of inertia of a thin disc is smaller than that of a solid disc with the same mass and radius. This is because a thin disc has most of its mass concentrated at the edges, while a solid disc has a more evenly distributed mass.

5. How does the moment of inertia of a thin disc affect its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of a thin disc affects its rotational motion by determining how much torque (rotational force) is needed to make the disc rotate at a certain speed. A larger moment of inertia means more torque is needed, resulting in slower rotation, while a smaller moment of inertia means less torque is needed, resulting in faster rotation.