Can you all help me with a couple hw questions?

• Thread starter jwoosley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary, Natalie must be going almost the speed of light in order for the stretch limo to look 9 meters long to Morgan.
jwoosley
hey everyone I'm new here. you all seem great at physics and my teacher gave us these problems and i have no clue as to how to do them! please help me it is due tonight!

1.Natalie designs stretch limo that is 9 m long but appears to be only 5.000m long when driven at speeds near the speed of light. How fast must Natalie be going to make the limo appear this long to Morgan who is watching the new stretch limo?

2.The net result of a hydrogen fusion reaction is that four hydrogen atoms combine to form a helium atom. The mass lost when rest energy is converted into radiation energy in the reaction is 3.250x10-29 kg. How much radiation energy does this reaction produce?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. If your physics teacher gave you this problem then he/she certainly expects you to know the "Lorentz contraction" formula. Try looking that up first in your text or notes. If you honestly can't find, get back to us.

2. Once again, this is just a matter of apply a (well known!) formula that connects energy and mass. Look for it in your book or notes and get back to us.

ok i found the formula: final length = original length * sq root (1- (v2/c2)), so i plugged this in, solved for velocity and got 290593262.9, and it wants the answer in the unit "c", is that correct then?

correction the answer is 249443825, so how do i put this in "c"? thanks!

Last edited:
To place in terms of "c", divide your answer by the value for "c" itself, the speed of light, which is usually rounded to 300,000,000 m/s. The ratio is the fraction of the speed of light:

0.75c = three-quarters of the speed of light
0.5c = half of the speed of light
0.25c = quarter of the speed of light
etc.

1. Can you explain the concept in simpler terms?

Yes, of course. I would be happy to break down the concept for you and explain it in simpler terms. Is there a specific part that you are struggling with or would you like a general overview?

2. How long will it take for you to help me with these questions?

That depends on the complexity of the questions and how well you understand the material. I will try my best to help you as efficiently as possible, but I cannot give a definite time frame.

3. Is it okay if I ask follow-up questions?

Absolutely, feel free to ask as many follow-up questions as you need to fully understand the material. I am here to help you and want to make sure you have a clear understanding.

4. Can you provide examples or additional resources?

Yes, I can provide examples or recommend additional resources for you to further your understanding. Just let me know what specific topics you would like examples or resources for.

5. Will you give me the answers or just guide me to the solution?

I will guide you to the solution and help you understand the steps to get there. It is important for you to actively learn and practice problem-solving skills. Simply giving you the answers will not help you in the long run.