Effect of dissociation energy on plasma ions behavior

In summary, the difference in ionization potentials between nitrogen and oxygen means that the energy of electrons and ions in the nitrogen plasma is higher than the oxygen plasma.
Si14
Hi,
Suppose there are two plasma cases, conditions are the same, except for the gases present:
a-Oxygen
b-Nitrogen

Since the dissociation energy of nitrogen is higher than oxygen, what could be concluded from it? Could it be more energetic nitrogen ions than oxygen ions (because initially they needed more energy to dissociate?) or something else? Or could it be concluded that the average discharge current in case b is higher than case a because of this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can say much. The dissociation energy only tells you how strongly one atom binds to another; which doesn't have any direct relationship to the ionization potential.

If you look at it in terms of electronic levels, then the binding/dissociation energy corresponds to the relative shift in the occupied levels when two atoms get close to each other, whereas the ionization potential is their absolute value.

Thanks. Ok, I also know that the 1st ionization energy of nitrogen is higher than oxygen.
http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/1stionization.html

So knowing this, can I argue what I said in my 1st post that since the ionization energy is higher for nitrogen, compared to oxygen, can one say that the energy of electrons and ions in the nitrogen plasma is higher than the oxygen plasma?
On the other hand, since plasma deals with the ionization energy, I assume, then what can be concluded from higher ionization energy level of nitrogen compared to oxygen?

Si14 said:
So knowing this, can I argue what I said in my 1st post that since the ionization energy is higher for nitrogen, compared to oxygen, can one say that the energy of electrons and ions in the nitrogen plasma is higher than the oxygen plasma? On the other hand, since plasma deals with the ionization energy, I assume, then what can be concluded from higher ionization energy level of nitrogen compared to oxygen?

You can't say the energy of the electrons and ions in the plasma would be higher; what that means to me would be saying that their kinetic energy is higher, i.e. a higher temperature. The thermodynamics of phase changes works just as well for plasma as any other. Basically the ionization energy represents part of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_heat" for the phase transition from gas to plasma. Let's assume all else is equal (heat capacities and such), and assume a higher ionization potential means a higher latent heat (it probably does in almost all cases, but properly there's there's entropy to take into account), also meaning a higher temperature is required to form a plasma.

If you then consider a given amount of nitrogen and the same amount of oxygen at some temperature, and add the same amount of energy (enough to create plasmas) to both, then the oxygen plasma will be hotter, because less energy was spent turning it into a plasma. A direct analogy to a more conventional phase change would be if you took a given amount of water and ether and vaporized them with the same amount of energy (where we again, for the sake of argument assume equal heat capacities). Ether has a much lower latent heat of vaporization compared to water (because its intermolecular bonds are much weaker), so more energy would be 'left over' for heating it, and the ether vapor would be hotter than the water vapor.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does dissociation energy affect the behavior of plasma ions?

Dissociation energy refers to the amount of energy required to break apart a molecule into its constituent atoms. In the case of plasma ions, this energy is essential in determining the stability and behavior of the ions. The higher the dissociation energy, the more tightly bound the ions are, making them less reactive and less likely to participate in chemical reactions. On the other hand, lower dissociation energy leads to more reactive ions that are more easily influenced by external factors, such as electric fields.

2. What is the relationship between dissociation energy and ionization potential?

Ionization potential refers to the energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule. There is a direct relationship between dissociation energy and ionization potential, as both processes involve the breaking of chemical bonds. In general, higher dissociation energy also means higher ionization potential, as the ions are more tightly bound and require more energy to break apart.

3. How does the dissociation energy of plasma ions affect plasma stability?

The dissociation energy of plasma ions plays a crucial role in determining the stability of plasma. When the dissociation energy is high, the ions are more stable and less likely to react with other particles in the plasma. This results in a more stable and long-lasting plasma. However, if the dissociation energy is too low, the ions may be too reactive and can cause instability and fluctuations in the plasma.

4. Can dissociation energy be manipulated to control plasma behavior?

Yes, dissociation energy can be manipulated to control the behavior of plasma ions. By adjusting the energy input into the plasma, the dissociation energy of the ions can be altered, leading to changes in their reactivity and stability. This can be useful in various applications, such as plasma processing and plasma-based technologies.

5. How does the dissociation energy of plasma ions vary with temperature?

Temperature has a significant effect on the dissociation energy of plasma ions. Generally, as temperature increases, so does the dissociation energy. This is due to the increased thermal energy, which gives the ions more energy to break apart from their molecular bonds. However, the exact relationship between temperature and dissociation energy can vary depending on the specific plasma composition and conditions.