Proving Ramsey Number Theorem: R(s,t) ≤ χ(G) for Graph G

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Ramsey numbers and vertex coloring in graph theory. It is stated that every red-blue coloring of the edges in a graph G will contain either a red copy of K_s or a blue copy of K_t. The goal is to prove that R(s,t) is less than or equal to the vertex coloring minimum number of G, denoted as \chi(G). The speaker suggests using a graph L(G) to represent the edges of G and prove the inequality (1) \binom{s+t-2}{t-1}\le\chi(G)=\chi'(L(G)). They also mention that this result can be achieved using Szkres-Erdos. The conversation ends with a solution
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I have this next question which I am trying to resolve.
Let G=(V,E) be some graph (usually in this context threre aren't loops nor directed edges),assume that every red-blue colouring of the edges of G contains a red copy of [tex]K_s[/tex] or blue copy of [tex]K_t[/tex]. show that [tex] R(s,t)\le\chi(G) [/tex], where R(s,t) is ramsey number and [tex]\chi(G)[/tex] is vertex colouring minimum number of G.

Now I thought of proving that [tex](1)\binom{s+t-2}{t-1}\le\chi(G)=\chi'(L(G))[/tex]
where L(G) is the graph in which you identify each edge of G as a vertex and each vertex in G which is common with two edges in G as an edge in L(G); [tex]\chi'(L(G))[/tex] is the edges colouring index of L(G).
How do I show (1), I am not sure?

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to say that if I prove (1), then by Szkres-Erdos I am done.

Consider a vertex colouring of G with n=Chi(G) colours and take any red-blue edge colouring of K_n. If an edge in G has end-vertices coloured i and j, colour it the same as the edge ij in K_n. G must contain either blue K_s or red K_t with distinctly coloured vertices and hence K_n must contain either a blue K_s or red K_t, so Chi(G)>=R(s,t).

Thanks.

Easy than I thought it would be.

I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem. First, let's define some terms to make sure we are on the same page:

- Ramsey Number Theorem: This is a theorem in graph theory that states that for any two positive integers s and t, there exists a minimum number R(s,t) such that any complete graph with R(s,t) or more vertices will have either a red clique of size s or a blue clique of size t.
- Graph G: This is a graph with a set of vertices V and a set of edges E.
- Vertex Colouring: This is a coloring of the vertices of a graph such that no two adjacent vertices have the same color.
- χ(G): This is the minimum number of colors needed to color the vertices of G such that no two adjacent vertices have the same color.
- L(G): This is a graph obtained by identifying each edge of G as a vertex and each vertex in G that is common to two edges as an edge in L(G).
- χ'(L(G)): This is the minimum number of colors needed to color the edges of L(G) such that no two adjacent edges have the same color.

Now, to prove that R(s,t) ≤ χ(G), we need to show that any red-blue coloring of the edges of G contains either a red clique of size s or a blue clique of size t. This can be done by showing that any red-blue coloring of the edges of L(G) contains either a red clique of size s or a blue clique of size t.

To do this, we can use the fact that χ'(L(G)) = χ(G). This means that any coloring of the edges of L(G) can be translated into a coloring of the vertices of G, and vice versa. So, if we can show that any coloring of the vertices of G contains either a red clique of size s or a blue clique of size t, then we have also shown that any coloring of the edges of L(G) contains either a red clique of size s or a blue clique of size t.

To show this, we can use the pigeonhole principle. Assume that the minimum number of colors needed to color the vertices of G without any adjacent vertices having the same color is χ(G). This means that there are χ(G) different colors available for the vertices of G. Now, consider a complete graph with χ(G

1. What is the Ramsey Number Theorem?

The Ramsey Number Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that for any two positive integers s and t, there exists a minimum number R(s,t) such that any graph with R(s,t) or more vertices will contain either a clique (a subgraph where every vertex is connected to every other vertex) of size s, or an independent set (a subgraph where no vertices are connected) of size t.

2. What does it mean for R(s,t) to be less than or equal to χ(G)?

The symbol χ(G) represents the chromatic number of a graph G, which is the minimum number of colors needed to color all the vertices of the graph such that no adjacent vertices have the same color. So, saying that R(s,t) is less than or equal to χ(G) means that the minimum number of vertices needed to guarantee the existence of either a clique of size s or an independent set of size t is less than or equal to the minimum number of colors needed to color all the vertices of the graph.

3. How is the Ramsey Number Theorem proved?

The Ramsey Number Theorem is usually proved using a proof by contradiction. This means assuming that the theorem is false, and then showing that this leads to a contradiction. In the case of proving R(s,t) ≤ χ(G), this involves constructing a graph with R(s,t) vertices that cannot be colored with χ(G) colors without either a clique or an independent set, thus proving the theorem.

4. What is the significance of the Ramsey Number Theorem?

The Ramsey Number Theorem has many applications in various fields such as computer science, economics, and social sciences. It provides a mathematical guarantee that certain patterns will emerge in large structures, even if they are seemingly random. It is also used in the study of graph coloring and network theory, and has implications for understanding the complexity of certain problems.

5. Are there any open problems related to the Ramsey Number Theorem?

Yes, there are several open problems related to the Ramsey Number Theorem. One notable problem is the determination of the exact value of R(s,t) for all values of s and t. While the upper and lower bounds of R(s,t) have been determined for many values, the exact values are still unknown for most cases. Another open problem is the generalization of the Ramsey Number Theorem to hypergraphs, which are structures that extend the concept of a graph to include edges with more than two vertices.