How Is the Sun's Angle of Inclination Calculated from Underwater?

In summary, the problem asks for the Sun's angle of inclination from the horizontal when seen by an underwater scuba diver at an apparent angle of 23 degrees from the vertical. Using the equation n1sin(degree)=n2sin(degree), the correct angle of inclination is found to be 58.95 degrees, but there may be a glitch in the online system causing an incorrect result.
akmphy
Angle of Inclination: ?

Homework Statement

An underwater scuba diver sees the Sun at an apparent angle of 23 degrees from the vertical. The refraction index for water is 1.32. what is the Sun's angle of inclination?

Homework Equations

n1sin(degree)= n2sin(degree)

The Attempt at a Solution

1.32sin(23) = 1sin(degree)
sin-1 (.51576) = 31.04
This was the wrong answer. I thought this was straightforward. I must be missing something here.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your work looks fine to me. Are you sure they want the Sun's angle of inclination from the vertical?

The problem asks for the Sun's angle of inclination?
wouldn't that be the angle it strikes the surface of the water?

akmphy said:
The problem asks for the Sun's angle of inclination?
wouldn't that be the angle it strikes the surface of the water?
That's what I would say. Measured from the horizontal, not the vertical.

So, I tried that...
90-31.05 = 58.95
This was wrong as well.

If this is an online system, they can be picky about significant figures.

(If it's from a textbook, tell me which one and what problem.)

It is an online UT program. Do you think the set up is correct? I will e-mail professor to double check.

As I said, your work looks fine to me. The only ambiguity is whether the inclination of the Sun is with respect to the horizontal or not. But that doesn't explain your experience with the online system.

I wish I was more savvy with the computer. The angle desired is with respect to the horizontal...the water surface.
However, it must be a glitch. That would be 90-31.05, which was wrong.
Thanks for your help

What is the Angle of Inclination?

The Angle of Inclination, also known as the angle of tilt or slope, is the angle at which an object or surface is tilted or slanted in relation to a horizontal plane.

How is the Angle of Inclination measured?

The Angle of Inclination can be measured using a protractor or other angle measuring tool. It is typically measured in degrees, with 0 degrees being a completely flat surface and 90 degrees being a vertical surface.

What factors can affect the Angle of Inclination?

The Angle of Inclination can be affected by various factors such as the shape and orientation of the object or surface, external forces such as gravity or wind, and the material properties of the object or surface.

Why is the Angle of Inclination important in science?

The Angle of Inclination is important in science because it can affect the stability, motion, and behavior of objects and surfaces. It is also crucial in understanding various natural phenomena and processes, such as the Earth's tilt and its impact on seasons.

How is the Angle of Inclination used in real-world applications?

The Angle of Inclination is used in various real-world applications, such as construction and architecture, where it is important to ensure the stability and safety of structures. It is also used in engineering and physics to calculate forces and motion, and in geology and geography to understand landforms and movements of the Earth's surface.