How to convert the root of equation in Mathematica

In summary, ToRadicals can convert Root[] objects into usually much more complicated nested radicals, but after typing your data back in it looks like ToRadicals cannot help you with this one.
kaizen.moto
Hi all,
How to convert the root of an equation from symbolic form into an ordinary from? I have tried to use the N command, but still displaying in the symbolic form.

Thanks

Attachments

• symbolicform.JPG
    symbolicform.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 631
Physics news on Phys.org
Root[] objects are sometimes returned for complicated roots of higher degree polynomials.

Sometimes, but no always, ToRadicals[] can convert Root[] objects into usually much more complicated nested radicals and get closer to what I think you would consider "ordinary form", but you still have variables in those expressions and that is going to make it more difficult or impossible to get an answer like 3.64.

Unfortunately, after typing your data back in it looks like ToRadicals cannot help you with this one.

All your lambda do appear to even powers. Sometimes you can make a little more progress by substituting z=lambda^2 and working on z instead. Then after you are done you can look at the two square roots of z. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to help in this case either.

Last edited:
I gave this one more try.

All your variables, m, n, a and lambda appear as even powers. Divide all exponents on your variables by 2. If I haven't made any mistakes typing this back in, that gives you a cubic in lambda and reduces the other variable exponents enough that Solve[eqn==0,lambda] is able to recognize it can give you the three roots of the cubic and not use Root[] objects. Then multiply the exponents on m, n and a by two, find the two square roots of each of those three roots of the cubic and you should have the six roots of your original polynomial in lambda.

But that is still going to leave you with all the m, n and a variables in those six roots.

thanks for your comments...i really appreciate it...

for your help!

There are a few different methods you can use in Mathematica to convert the root of an equation from symbolic form into an ordinary form. One option is to use the RootApproximant function, which will give you a numerical approximation of the root. Another option is to use the NRoots function, which will give you a list of numerical approximations for all the roots of an equation. Finally, you can also use the Solve or NSolve functions to find the exact or numerical solutions to an equation. You may need to specify the domain and assumptions for these functions to work properly. I hope this helps!

1. How do I convert the root of an equation in Mathematica?

To convert the root of an equation in Mathematica, you can use the Solve or NSolve function. These functions will return a list of solutions for the equation. You can then use the Root function to extract the exact root from the list of solutions.

2. Can I convert the root of a complex equation in Mathematica?

Yes, you can use the NSolve function to convert the root of complex equations in Mathematica. However, keep in mind that the solution may involve complex numbers.

3. How can I express the root of an equation in a specific form or precision?

You can use the RootApproximant function in Mathematica to express the root of an equation in a specific form or precision. This function will return the closest algebraic number to the root, allowing you to control the precision of the result.

4. Is there a way to convert the root of an equation without using any functions?

Yes, you can use the == operator in Mathematica to convert the root of an equation. This operator will return True if the equation is satisfied, and False if it is not.

5. Can I convert the root of a polynomial equation using Mathematica?

Yes, you can use the Solve or NSolve function to convert the root of a polynomial equation in Mathematica. These functions will return all the possible solutions for the equation, including complex roots.