Where can I find helpful resources for Calculus 1, 2, and 3?

In summary, the person is looking for additional resources for calculus 1, 2, and 3, such as videos, books, and online essays. They are familiar with ocw.mit and Khan Academy, but are seeking other institutions that offer similar resources. They mention having difficulty understanding certain concepts and have been working ahead to improve their understanding. A suggestion is given for Paul's Online Math Notes and searching iTunes U for lectures from different universities. Another suggestion is given for Patrick JMT's website, which offers helpful videos for understanding math concepts. The person hopes that this information will be useful and asks for the administrators to consider posting about it on the forum.
QuarkCharmer
I'm looking for a good set of lecture style calculus 1,2,3 videos, books, online essays. I know about ocw.mit and the khanacademy, but I am curious what other institutions offer this type of resource. I really like what MIT is doing, but there are certain key points where I feel another explanation would benefit me.

I am mostly done with Calculus 6th ed. (stewart), and I own Calculus (Spivak) but I have a hard time understanding the way that guy writes! I am only a calculus II student, but I have been trying to work ahead in my spare time to make sure I get a good understanding.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can't go wrong with Paul's Online Math Notes. He has notes from College Algebra to Differential Equations and some very useful cheat sheets.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

As for video lectures, I suggest searching iTunes U for lectures from different Universities.

QuarkCharmer said:
I'm looking for a good set of lecture style calculus 1,2,3 videos, books, online essays. I know about ocw.mit and the khanacademy, but I am curious what other institutions offer this type of resource. I really like what MIT is doing, but there are certain key points where I feel another explanation would benefit me.

I am mostly done with Calculus 6th ed. (stewart), and I own Calculus (Spivak) but I have a hard time understanding the way that guy writes! I am only a calculus II student, but I have been trying to work ahead in my spare time to make sure I get a good understanding.

Thanks!

patrick jmt (google it, I could not put the link)

Check his website out. This guy has a GIFT for explaining math concepts easily and smoothly. I tried to post his as a new topic but I do not have permission for it.

@ Administrators : please check his videos and if you deem i worthy, post it as a new thread for these videos can help a lot of people. I has been helping a ton.

Hope this is useful.

Peace. :-)

There are many helpful resources available for Calculus 1, 2, and 3. In addition to the ones you mentioned, such as ocw.mit and Khan Academy, there are also other institutions that offer similar resources, such as Coursera, edX, and Udemy. These platforms offer online courses, lectures, and practice problems for Calculus 1, 2, and 3 that you can access at your own pace.

Additionally, many universities have open access websites where you can find lecture notes, practice problems, and video lectures for Calculus 1, 2, and 3. For example, the University of California, Berkeley has a website called "Mathematics Online Resources" that offers a variety of resources for Calculus and other math courses.

If you prefer to learn from books, there are many options available. In addition to the ones you mentioned, you can also check out "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart or "Calculus" by Ron Larson and Bruce Edwards. These books offer clear explanations and examples for Calculus 1, 2, and 3.

Lastly, I would suggest reaching out to your professor or teaching assistant for additional resources or explanations. They are experts in the subject and can provide valuable insights and guidance. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the difference between Calculus 1, 2, and 3?

Calculus 1 typically covers the fundamentals of differential calculus, including limits, derivatives, and their applications. Calculus 2 builds upon this by introducing integral calculus, covering techniques for finding areas under curves and volumes of solids. Calculus 3 focuses on multivariable calculus, where students learn how to apply the concepts of differentiation and integration to functions with more than one variable.

2. What topics are typically covered in Calculus 1?

In Calculus 1, students typically learn about limits, derivatives, and their applications. This includes topics such as finding tangent lines, optimization, and related rates problems.

3. How does Calculus 2 differ from Calculus 1?

While Calculus 1 focuses on the basics of differential calculus, Calculus 2 introduces the concept of integral calculus. This involves finding the area under a curve and using integration techniques to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. What are some common applications of Calculus 3?

Calculus 3 is used to solve problems involving functions with more than one variable, such as finding the maximum or minimum values of a function in three-dimensional space. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to model and analyze complex systems.

5. What are some tips for succeeding in Calculus 1, 2, and 3?

Some tips for succeeding in Calculus 1, 2, and 3 include practicing regularly, seeking help when needed, and understanding the connections between the different topics. It is also important to stay organized and keep up with the material as each course builds upon the previous one.