Help me interpret what my professor meant?

• Thread starter Matterwave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professor
And then I tried solving for the probability of the atom being in the ground state at time t, but it turns out to be the same as part a. So, in summary, in part b, the problem is asking to replace the coupling constant and photon operators with the electrical dipole moment and electric field, respectively, and compare the results to part a.
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

3. Degenerate Jaynes-Cummings model The Hamiltonian is
[tex]\hat{H}=\frac{1}{2}\hbar\omega_{0}\hat{\sigma}_{z}+\hbar\omega\hat{a}\dag\hat{a}+\frac{1}{2}\hbar\Omega i(\hat{\sigma}_{+}\hat{a}\dag-\hat{\sigma}_{-}\hat{a})[/tex] (8)

(a) Find the probability of the atom being in the ground state at time t when the initial state
of the system is |−, n>, where |±> are the two atom states and |n> is the n photon state.
(b) Do the same for the semiclassical case when the coupling constant in the interaction
term and the photon operators are replaced by the electrical dipole moment times the
appropriate electric field of the same magnitude as the electric field fluctuation of the n
photon state where n is macroscopic.
(c) Compare the results of the two cases.So, I have no problem solving part a, but as far as part b, I'm confused on what he means. I tried to just replace [tex]\Omega \rightarrow 2\mu_e\varepsilon(\omega)[/tex], and then replace the creation operator as sqrt(n) and the annihilation operator as sqrt(n), and solve for the non-composite state Hamiltonian. The problem with that is I get trivially the same exact solution as I got in part a because everything is done in analogy, and all I did was replace a constant with another constant, so I'm confused on what my professor is trying to ask. I will talk with him tomorrow to ask him, but in the mean time I was hoping you guys could help.

EDIT: Here [tex]\varepsilon(\omega)=\sqrt{\frac{2\hbar\omega}{\epsilon_0}}[/tex] so that [tex]\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_0\varepsilon^2(\alpha\alpha*)=\hbar\omega n[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To explain better what I attempted to do for part b, I simply changed my Hamiltonian to:

[tex]\hat{H}=\frac{1}{2}\hbar\omega_0\hat{\sigma}_{z}+\hbar\omega n+\hbar i\mu_e\varepsilon(\omega)(\hat{\sigma}_{+}\sqrt{n}-\hat{\sigma}_{-}\sqrt{n})[/tex]

And then my basis states are |+> and |-> where now I have gotten rid of the composite state problem by treating the electric field as external.

1. What are some common ways my professor may communicate their feedback?

Professors may provide feedback through written comments on assignments, in-person discussions, or through online platforms such as email or course forums.

2. How can I clarify my professor's comments if I am confused?

If you are unsure about your professor's feedback, it is always best to reach out and ask for clarification. This can be done through email, office hours, or scheduling a meeting.

3. What if my professor's feedback seems contradictory or unclear?

If you are receiving conflicting or unclear feedback, it is important to communicate this to your professor. Ask for specific examples or further explanation to better understand their comments.

4. How can I use my professor's feedback to improve my work?

Take the time to carefully read and understand your professor's feedback. Use their comments to identify areas for improvement and make necessary revisions to your work.

5. What should I do if I disagree with my professor's feedback?

If you have a different interpretation or perspective on your work, you can respectfully discuss this with your professor and provide evidence to support your viewpoint. However, ultimately it is important to follow your professor's instructions and expectations for the assignment.