What is the Impedance of a Plane Wave Passing Through a Metal?

In summary, the problem is to show that the impedance Z for a plane wave passing through a metal can be given by Z = \sqrt{ \frac{2 \omega \epsilon _0} {\sigma} } \frac{Z_0}{1-i}, where Zo is the impedance of free space and sigma is the conductivity. The student attempted to reach this equation by using the wave equation and the equation for the speed of light, but made a mistake with the units. After correcting this, the student was able to reach the desired equation for Z.
bayners123

Homework Statement

A plane wave is passing through a metal. Show that the impedance Z can be given by
[tex] Z = \sqrt{ \frac{2 \omega \epsilon _0} {\sigma} } \frac{Z_0}{1-i} [/tex] where Zo is the impedance of free space and sigma is the conductivity.

You may assume that E is polarised in the x direction.

Homework Equations

[tex] Z_0 = \sqrt{ \frac{\epsilon_r \epsilon_0}{\mu_r \mu_0}} [/tex]

[tex] E_x = E_0 e^{i(\omega t - \tilde{k} x)} [/tex]
where [tex]\tilde{k} = k - iK[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've managed to get to the impedance in the form:
[tex] Z = \frac{ \mu_r \mu_0 \omega }{ k - iK } [/tex]
but this doesn't have any reference to the conductivity in it and I can't see how to get to the required equation from it. I thought to use [tex] \frac{\omega}{k} = \frac{c}{n} = \frac{c}{\sqrt{\epsilon_r \mu_r}} [/tex] but it didn't seem to help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, by subbing back into the wave equation I've got to
[tex] Z = \sqrt{ \frac{2 \omega}{\sigma \epsilon_r \epsilon_0}} \frac{\mu_r \mu_0}{1-i} Z_0 [/tex]
which is nearly there but I can't see the last bit..

---

EDIT: Solved. I was just being silly as usual: I had the wrong equation for the speed of light in terms of mu and epsilon. Please delete

Last edited:
Reasons like this are why I'm glad that I was taught EM in SI units over CGS, everyone knows c from curlB. :p

1. What is complex impedance in metals?

Complex impedance in metals is a measure of the resistance and reactance of a metal material to an alternating current (AC) electrical signal. It is represented by a complex number, which has a real component for resistance and an imaginary component for reactance.

2. How is complex impedance different from resistance in metals?

Resistance in metals refers to the opposition to the flow of an electrical current, while complex impedance takes into account both resistance and reactance. While resistance is typically constant, reactance varies with frequency.

3. What factors influence the complex impedance of metals?

The complex impedance of metals is influenced by various factors such as the type of metal, its composition and purity, temperature, and frequency of the electrical signal. In addition, the shape and size of the metal can also affect its complex impedance.

4. How is complex impedance measured in metals?

Complex impedance in metals is measured using a device called an impedance analyzer or LCR meter. This device measures the resistance and reactance of the metal at different frequencies and calculates its complex impedance.

5. Why is complex impedance important in the study of metals?

Complex impedance is important in the study of metals because it provides valuable information about the electrical properties of a metal. This can be used to determine the quality and performance of a metal material, as well as its suitability for various applications in industries such as electronics and telecommunications.