Does this sound like VERY basic Thermodynamics (course description included)

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of adding a Thermodynamics class to a busy semester and whether it would be too challenging to take with other technical courses. The class is described as a basic introduction to thermodynamics, with three hours of lectures and two hours of tutorials per week. The person asking for advice mentions already having a packed semester with courses such as ODE, Statics, Environmental Engineering Principles, and Ethics/Responsibility of an Engineer. The response is that it is doable to take the Thermodynamics class with ODE and Statics, as long as those are the only other technical courses.
ZenOne
I plan on adding a 5th class to my semester (which is already quite packed), however I was wondering if this sounded like the Thermodynamics class that everyone on PF always complains about:

"ENGR 251 Thermodynamics I (3 credits)
Prerequisite: MATH 203 (Cegep Mathematics
103 [Calculus 1]). Basic principles of thermodynamics and
their application to various systems composed
of pure substances and their homogeneous
non-reactive mixtures. Simple power production
and utilization cycles. Lectures: three hours per
week. Tutorial: two hours per week."

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds very much like my first semester thermodynamics course. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it, although it won't go into a ton of detail. Of course, no introductory course (on pretty much any topic) will, so I don't see that as a problem. If you really want an understanding of thermodynamics, you'll probably need at least another semester of it after that course, but it looks like a decent introduction.

Would you say it would be overkill to pack it into a semester with ODE and Statics?

Anyone?

ZenOne said:
Would you say it would be overkill to pack it into a semester with ODE and Statics?

That depends on what else you're taking, but if those are your only other technical courses, not at all. I took my first semester thermo course simultaneously with DiffEQ/linear algebra and statics (and one other course I don't remember), and it was completely doable.

Other courses include Environmental Engineering Principles and Ethics/Responsibility of an Engineer.

Thank you for your input BTW.

1. What is the purpose of studying basic Thermodynamics?

The purpose of studying basic Thermodynamics is to understand the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of energy in various physical systems. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, chemistry, and environmental science.

2. What topics are typically covered in a basic Thermodynamics course?

A basic Thermodynamics course usually covers topics such as the laws of thermodynamics, thermodynamic properties and processes, energy conversion, and thermodynamic cycles. It may also include applications of thermodynamics in different fields, such as heat engines, refrigeration, and power generation.

3. Is Thermodynamics a difficult subject to grasp?

Thermodynamics can be a challenging subject for some students, as it involves complex mathematical equations and abstract concepts. However, with proper understanding and practice, it can be a fascinating and rewarding subject.

4. How does Thermodynamics relate to other branches of science?

Thermodynamics is a fundamental science that has applications in various fields, including physics, chemistry, engineering, and environmental science. It provides a foundation for understanding energy transfer and conversion in different systems and plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies.

5. What are the real-world applications of Thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics has numerous real-world applications, such as designing efficient engines, refrigeration systems, and power generation plants. It is also essential in understanding climate change and developing sustainable energy solutions. Additionally, thermodynamics plays a crucial role in the production and processing of materials, such as metals, polymers, and pharmaceuticals.