Question about orthogonal functions

In summary, The conversation discusses the possibility of proving that a set of four polynomials, which are orthonormal and orthogonal over the interval [1,4], are the only polynomials of degree 3 or fewer that satisfy these conditions. The answer is no, but it is possible to prove that they are the only polynomials (up to sign) if another condition is included. This condition refers to having a basis where each basis vector is a different degree. After further clarification and reference to linear algebra, the conversation concludes with an understanding of the initial question.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
All right, so I was wondering... I took a look at generating orthogonal functions (over an interval), and say I have these four:

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{5}{3} - \frac{2}{3} x[/tex]
[tex]\frac{11}{3} \sqrt{\frac{5}{3}} - \frac{10}{3} \sqrt{\frac{5}{3}} x + \frac{2}{3} \sqrt{\frac{5}{3}} x^2[/tex]
[tex]\frac{245}{27} \sqrt{\frac{7}{3}} - \frac{116}{9} \sqrt{\frac{7}{3}} x + \frac{50}{9} \sqrt{\frac{7}{3}} x^2 - \frac{20}{27} \sqrt{\frac{7}{3}} x^3[/tex]

These four polynomials are all orthonormal and orthogonal over the interval [1,4]. Now what I want to know is, is it possible to prove that these are the ONLY polynomials of degree 3 or fewer that satisfy orthonormality and orthogonality?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Char. Limit said:
Now what I want to know is, is it possible to prove that these are the ONLY polynomials of degree 3 or fewer that satisfy orthonormality and orthogonality?
The answer is obviously no -- just remember your linear algebra. (did you notice that you're working in a vector space with inner product?)

But the answer is yes (up to sign) if you include another condition that I think you meant to include. Once you make that condition explicit, I think the proof is straightforward by induction.

Hurkyl said:
The answer is obviously no -- just remember your linear algebra. (did you notice that you're working in a vector space with inner product?)

But the answer is yes (up to sign) if you include another condition that I think you meant to include. Once you make that condition explicit, I think the proof is straightforward by induction.

Umm... sorry, but I don't quite get what you mean. What condition are you referring to?

And let me get out my old linear algebra book... I think I know what you mean though.

Char. Limit said:
What condition are you referring to?
Well, I was hoping you'd take some time to think about what you mean...

But what I think you are thinking is not simply for an orthonormal basis on the space of degree-3 polynomials, but you actually wanted a basis where each basis vector is a different degree.

Hurkyl said:
Well, I was hoping you'd take some time to think about what you mean...

But what I think you are thinking is not simply for an orthonormal basis on the space of degree-3 polynomials, but you actually wanted a basis where each basis vector is a different degree.

Yes, that's true. I guess I sort of forgot to mention that... sorry about that.

And after re-reading my linear algebra book, I see what you mean by the earlier comment. Thanks for the help!

1. What are orthogonal functions?

Orthogonal functions are mathematical functions that are perpendicular to each other when plotted on a graph. This means that the angle between the two functions at any given point is 90 degrees. In other words, the functions do not overlap or intersect each other.

2. Why are orthogonal functions important?

Orthogonal functions are important because they are used in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. They have special properties that make them useful for solving differential equations, signal processing, and data analysis.

3. How do you determine if two functions are orthogonal?

To determine if two functions are orthogonal, you need to calculate their inner product. If the inner product is equal to 0, then the functions are orthogonal. The inner product is calculated by integrating the product of the two functions over a specified interval.

4. Can any two functions be orthogonal?

No, not all functions can be orthogonal. For two functions to be orthogonal, they must satisfy certain conditions such as being continuous and having a finite inner product. Some examples of orthogonal functions include sine and cosine, Legendre polynomials, and Chebyshev polynomials.

5. How are orthogonal functions used in real-world applications?

Orthogonal functions have many practical applications in fields such as signal processing, image compression, and quantum mechanics. In signal processing, orthogonal functions are used to analyze and filter signals. In image compression, they are used to reduce the size of digital images while maintaining their quality. In quantum mechanics, orthogonal functions are used to describe the wave-like behavior of particles.