Leverage & Human Body: Exploring Advantages of Shorter Arms

In summary, people with shorter arms (biceps and forearm combo) can lift more because the lever arm (the distance from the elbow joint to the muscle tendon) is shorter, which means more force is needed to lift the same weight.
5.0stang
Hi guys/gals,

I had a couple random questions on leverage and the human body. I am an active individual that enjoys lifting weights and working out. At the gym today, I got to thinking about the "mechanical advantages" that certain body types have doing particular lifts.

First question is curling a weight, by utilizing the bicep. So my question is this:

Is there a formula/animation/drawing to point to the advantages of a shorter arm (lever) when doing a curl. Remember, the weight is on the hand and you bend at the elbow. So therefore, it appears quite obvious to me that a shorter arm (bicep + forearm combo) can lift more, due to the decreased angle.

With that question, can anyone show how a 1" further placement up the hand can create a harder lift? In other words, how much more "force" is applied when 50 lbs is moved up 1"?

Second question is pressing (bench pressing) a barbell weight from the chest, moving upwards. Obviously (like above), a short armed individual will have less trouble moving the same weight as one with longer arms. Is there any math to back this up?

I hope this made sense and is in the right sub-forum.

Thanks for any assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechanical advantage is the concept you are looking for and the formula for the advantage of a shorter arm is just the ratio of the lengths.

For the 1" difference, I think it would be best seen in terms of percent, so for example if the normal distance is 12", a 1" increase in the distance raises the torque required by 8%.

The math works the same for a bench press.

Just to chime in, while it is easy to calculate things like leverage, when it comes to the human body things are far from easy. There are so many different variables that it becomes nearly impossible to figure out anything meaningful unless you spend a lot of time tracking them all down. Just because someone has a shorter arm doesn't necessarily mean they have an advantage. A taller person with a longer arm could have much more muscle overall even if the bulk isn't noticeably increased.

Google for "arm biomechanics". You need the the lever arm of the biceps, to compute how much force it must generate to lift a certain weight, at a certain distance:

Sm_elbowfbd.jpg

Ignoring the forearms own weight it is about 6x times the load that you hold in your hand.

A.T. said:
Google for "arm biomechanics". You need the the lever arm of the biceps, to compute how much force it must generate to lift a certain weight, at a certain distance ...

Thanks for that link; it seems to me that the length of the 'lever arm' between the elbow joint and where the biceps tendon attaches to the forearm is going to be proportionally shorter in a short-armed individual as well.

Drakkith said:
...A taller person with a longer arm could have much more muscle overall even if the bulk isn't noticeably increased.

I think this is also significant.

It seems that most of the people I hear espousing the idea that "weightlifting is easier for short people" are tall guys who can't lift as much. Maybe the short guys just train harder :smile:

Ha. I am looking for a new way to lift weights (to prevent plateauing) and stumbled into this forum. I am totally lost... ) At first, I thought I was onto something, but I still don't get it. I wouldn't expect anyone to explain this in a more layman's terms...if so, great. If not, I understand. You all are speaking in your own language. This might make for a good article in Men's Health though...

gmax137 said:
It seems that most of the people I hear espousing the idea that "weightlifting is easier for short people" are tall guys who can't lift as much. Maybe the short guys just train harder :smile:

The tall guys are probably makin' out with the girls instead. :biggrin:

1. What is leverage and how does it apply to the human body?

Leverage is the use of a lever or other mechanical device to gain an advantage in moving or lifting an object. In the human body, leverage refers to the use of our bones, joints, and muscles to create movement and generate force.

2. How do shorter arms provide an advantage in terms of leverage?

Shorter arms can provide an advantage in terms of leverage because they require less effort to move and lift objects. This is because the distance between the fulcrum (joint) and the point of application of force (hand) is shorter, which decreases the amount of force needed to move the object.

3. Can having longer arms be a disadvantage in terms of leverage?

Yes, having longer arms can be a disadvantage in terms of leverage because it requires more effort to move and lift objects. This is because the distance between the fulcrum (joint) and the point of application of force (hand) is longer, which increases the amount of force needed to move the object.

4. How does leverage affect our daily activities?

Leverage affects our daily activities in many ways. For example, when we lift a heavy object, we use our muscles and joints to create leverage and make the task easier. In sports, leverage is used to generate force and improve performance. Even simple tasks like opening a door or using utensils to eat involve the use of leverage in our bodies.

5. Are there any other advantages to having shorter arms besides leverage?

Yes, having shorter arms can also provide advantages in terms of agility and speed. Shorter arms require less energy to move and can be more easily coordinated, making them beneficial for activities that require quick movements, such as sports or martial arts. Additionally, shorter arms may also be less prone to injury due to their smaller range of motion.