Partial Fractions of 1/((3x)(5-x))

In summary, the correct method for finding the partial fractions of 1/((3x)(5-x)) is to first pull out the 3 in the denominator to get 1/3 * (1/(x(5-x))). Then, using the method of residues, we take the limit as x approaches each pole (in this case, x=0 and x=5) to determine the coefficients A and B. The final answer is 1/(15x)-1/(15x-75).

Homework Statement

Find the partial fractions of 1/((3x)(5-x))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1/((3x)(5-x))=A/(3x)+B/(5-x)=(A(5-x)+B(3x))/((3x)(5-x))
1=A(5-x)+B(3x)
If x=0
1=A(5-0)+B(3*0)=5A => A=1/5
If x=5
1=A(5-5)+B(3*5)=B15 => B=1/15
So
1/((3x)(5-x))=1/(15x)+1/(15*(5-x))

This is what I think it is supposed to be but the answer is slightly different where the third term is negative, 1/((3x)(5-x))=1/(15x)-1/(15*(5-x)). I don't see where the negative sign comes from. It has been a while since I've done partial fractions so I'd like to know if this method is correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you take out that 3 in the bottom first.

That is

[tex]\frac{1}{3}\int \frac{dx}{x(5-x)}[/tex]

Last edited:
Pulling the 3 out only seems to make B=1/5 and everything else is the same. Can't see how that makes B negative either

312213 said:
Pulling the 3 out only seems to make B=1/5 and everything else is the same. Can't see how that makes B negative either

NO i just suggested it to make multiplication simpler. If you are in doubt, multiply and combine the fractions to see where you went wrong

Just noticed that the negative came from switching the signs of (5-x) into (x-5) and that I didn't notice the answer had that the other way around too. Problem solved

312213 said:
I don't see where the negative sign comes from. It has been a while since I've done partial fractions so I'd like to know if this method is correct.

Looks to me that you did it correctly. Is there any chance that the answer you were given has x-5 in the denominator rather than 5-x? If not, then the answer given was wrong, it seems.

So, the other day in another forum, I learned a new method of solving partial fractions by inspection. I've been doing them the traditional way, and someone pointed out the method of residues, which for some reason, I hadn't seen before. But, it hindsight is seems so obvious.

Anyway, if you don't have degenerate poles, the method is very quick. If you have degenerate poles the method is a little more involved, but not to bad.

Identify the poles ... in this case x=0 and x=5, the take the limit as x approaches each pole.

The limit of 1/((3x)(5-x))=A/(3x)+B/(5-x)as x goes to zero is

1/(5-x)=A=1/5

And, the limit of 1/((3x)(5-x))=A/(3x)+B/(5-x) as x goes to five is

1/(3x)=B=1/15

So, there is a quick way to check, or an even quicker way to cheat :smile:

Notice that 1/(5-x) = -1/(x-5) so that [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{15x}+\frac{1}{15(5-x)}=\frac{1}{15x}-\frac{1}{15(x-5)}[/itex]

What is the concept of partial fractions?

Partial fractions is a mathematical method used to simplify complex rational expressions into simpler fractions. It involves breaking down a rational expression into multiple fractions with simpler denominators.

How do you decompose a rational expression into partial fractions?

To decompose a rational expression into partial fractions, you need to follow these steps:

1. Factor the denominator of the rational expression.
  2. Write the expression as a sum of fractions with the factored denominators.
  3. Set up a system of equations by equating the numerators of the fractions to the original numerator.
  4. Solve the system of equations to find the values of the unknown coefficients.
  5. Substitute the values of the coefficients into the partial fractions and simplify.

What is the purpose of using partial fractions?

Partial fractions are used to simplify complex rational expressions, making them easier to work with and manipulate in mathematical calculations. They are also useful in solving integrals and differential equations.

Can any rational expression be decomposed into partial fractions?

Yes, any proper rational expression can be decomposed into partial fractions using the method described above. However, improper rational expressions may require additional steps.

How do partial fractions help in solving integrals?

Partial fractions allow us to break down a complex rational function into simpler fractions, which can then be integrated separately. This makes the integration process easier and more manageable.