Spin state function of a beam of particles in terms of eigenfunctions.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigenstates of Sx in terms of Sz for a beam of atoms with spin quantum number 1/2 and zero orbital angular momentum. The suggested answer is \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}> + |\frac{1}{2},\frac{-1}{2}> and \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}> - |\frac{1}{2},\frac{-1}{2}> with the first state corresponding to the positive spin in the x direction. The conversation also mentions the possibility of a different relative phase between the terms
Mithra
Hi there, I apologise that I should probably know this/its a stupid question but I seem to have forgotten all physics over the holiday and so any help would be great!

I have been told that there is a beam of atoms with spin quantum number 1/2 and zero orbital angular momentum, with spin +1/2 along the x axis. I am then asked what the spin state function of this beam is in terms of eigenfunctions of [itex]\hat{S}^2[/itex] and [itex]\hat{S}_z[/itex], being the kets |[itex]1/2 , m_{s_z} = 1/2>[/itex] and |[itex]1/2 , m_{s_z} = -1/2>[/itex]

Would I be right in assuming that the answer is simply
[itex]\phi_s = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1/2 , m_{s_z} = 1/2> + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1/2 , m_{s_z} = 1/2> [/itex]
because knowing the spin in the x direction doesn't tell you about the z direction (as they are incompatible observables) or is it more complex than that? Any help/advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to find the eigenstates of Sx in terms of the eigenstates of Sz. Your answer is a good guess, but there could be a different relative phase between the two terms.

Thanks for the help :).

I got the eigenstates of [itex]S_x[/itex] in terms of [itex]S_z[/itex] as

[itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}> + |\frac{1}{2},\frac{-1}{2}> [/itex]
and
[itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}> - |\frac{1}{2},\frac{-1}{2}> [/itex]

With the first one corresponding to the same eigenvalue as the positive spin in the x direction given by [itex]S_x[/itex]. Is that anything like what the correct answer would be? (I'm guessing that it should be similar to if the beam is not polarised as the following questions suggest that they would not be differentiated by a Stern-Gerlach experiment with the magnetic field along z.).

I don't know how much you're actually allowed to say "yes that's the correct answer" but thanks for the help anyway ;).

Mithra said:
Thanks for the help :).

I got the eigenstates of [itex]S_x[/itex] in terms of [itex]S_z[/itex] as

[itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}> + |\frac{1}{2},\frac{-1}{2}> [/itex]
and
[itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}> - |\frac{1}{2},\frac{-1}{2}> [/itex]

With the first one corresponding to the same eigenvalue as the positive spin in the x direction given by [itex]S_x[/itex]. Is that anything like what the correct answer would be?
Yup, that's it.
(I'm guessing that it should be similar to if the beam is not polarised as the following questions suggest that they would not be differentiated by a Stern-Gerlach experiment with the magnetic field along z.).

I don't know how much you're actually allowed to say "yes that's the correct answer" but thanks for the help anyway ;).

Hello! Your understanding is correct. The spin state function of this beam of particles can be written as a linear combination of the eigenfunctions of \hat{S}^2 and \hat{S}_z, with equal coefficients for both spin states. This is because the particles have a spin quantum number of 1/2, meaning they can either have spin +1/2 or -1/2 along the z axis. However, since the particles have zero orbital angular momentum, the eigenfunctions for \hat{S}^2 and \hat{S}_z are the same, so the coefficients for both spin states are equal.

In general, the spin state function can be written as a linear combination of eigenfunctions with different coefficients, depending on the specific spin state of the particles. But in this case, with only one spin state in the x direction, the coefficients are equal. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is a spin state function?

A spin state function is a mathematical expression that describes the properties of a particle's spin, such as its orientation and angular momentum.

2. What are eigenfunctions?

Eigenfunctions are mathematical functions that represent the state of a system and are used to solve equations in quantum mechanics. In the context of spin state functions, they represent the possible spin states of a particle.

3. How is the spin state of a beam of particles described in terms of eigenfunctions?

The spin state of a beam of particles is described using a linear combination of eigenfunctions. This means that the overall spin state is a combination of individual particle spin states, and the probability of each spin state is determined by the coefficients of the eigenfunctions in the linear combination.

4. What is the significance of the spin state function in particle physics?

The spin state function is important in understanding the behavior and properties of particles, particularly in quantum mechanics. It allows us to calculate the probabilities of different spin states and predict the outcomes of experiments involving particles.

5. Can the spin state of a particle change?

Yes, the spin state of a particle can change when it interacts with other particles or experiences external forces. This change can be described using mathematical operators and equations in quantum mechanics.