Question about simple analysis proof

In summary, the proof shows that if p^2 = 2, then p is irrational. This is because if p were rational, it could be written as m/n where m and n are not both even. However, further reasoning leads to a contradiction, showing that p cannot be rational and must be irrational.
f24u7
I saw a proof on a textbook, but I don't understand why m and n should not both be even?

Prove p^2 =2 then p is irrational

(1) p^2 = 2
is not satisfied by any rational p. If there were such a p, we could write p = m/n
where m and n are integers that are not both even.

Then (1) implies

(2) m^2=2n^2

This shows that m^2 is even.

Hence m is even (if m were odd, m 2 would be odd),and so m^2 is divisible by 4.
It follows that the right side of (2) is divisible by 4,
so that n  is even, which implies that n is even.

The assumption that (1) holds thus leads to the conclusion that both m
and n are even, contrary to our choice of m and n. Hence (1) is impossible for
rational p.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We can choose m and n not both even.

Indeed, let's say that [itex]p=\frac{12}{8}[/itex] then both the numerator as the denominator are even. But we can simplify it as [itex]p=\frac{3}{2}[/itex], not not both are even.

So we can always write p=m/n with not both m and n even. If m and n were both even, then we can just simplify the fraction.

thanks for the reply, but I still don't understand why is m and n both are even a conclusive evidence that p is not a rational?

f24u7 said:
thanks for the reply, but I still don't understand why is m and n both are even a conclusive evidence that p is not a rational?

We assumed p to be rational. We could write p=m/n with m and n not both even. But then we reasoned further and we found that m and n were both even. This is a contradiction, so the hypothesis that p be rational was false. Thus p is irrational.

1. What is simple analysis proof?

Simple analysis proof is a method used in mathematics and science to prove a statement or hypothesis using logical reasoning and mathematical techniques. It involves breaking down a complex problem into simpler and more manageable parts, and then using these simpler parts to prove the original statement.

2. How do you approach a simple analysis proof?

The approach to a simple analysis proof involves carefully examining the statement or hypothesis to be proved and breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, you must use logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to prove each of these smaller parts, and finally, combine these proofs to prove the original statement.

3. What are some common techniques used in simple analysis proof?

Some common techniques used in simple analysis proof include mathematical induction, contradiction, and direct proof. Mathematical induction involves using a base case and an inductive step to prove a statement for all cases. Contradiction involves assuming the opposite of the statement and showing that it leads to a contradiction. Direct proof involves directly proving the statement using logical reasoning and mathematical techniques.

4. How do I know if my simple analysis proof is correct?

A simple analysis proof is considered correct if it follows the rules of logic and mathematics and successfully proves the statement or hypothesis. It should be clear, concise, and free of errors. It is always a good idea to double-check your work and have someone else review it to ensure its correctness.

5. Can simple analysis proof be used in other fields besides mathematics and science?

Yes, the principles of simple analysis proof can be applied in other fields such as philosophy and computer science. The method involves breaking down a complex problem into simpler parts and using logical reasoning to prove them, which can be applied to various fields and disciplines.