Efficiency of a power driven car

In summary, the conversation discusses using wind energy to power a car and calculating the efficiency of this method. It involves comparing the maximum energy possible to be taken out of the wind to the actual energy output of the car. The formula for kinetic energy of the wind is discussed, as well as determining the area of the turbine affected by the wind. The conversation also touches on measuring the useable power generated by the wind turbine and determining the available power of the wind stream. The efficiency of the car is calculated as a percentage of the wind power. Overall, the conversation concludes that while it is not impossible to use wind power to power a car, it would require experimentation and consideration of various variables.
ponjavic
Ok I have this car powered by the wind. In order to caclucalte the efficiency I would like to compare the maximum energy possible to be taken out of the wind(air) compared to the actual energy output 1/2mv^2.

Is this viable? And could someone give a formula for wind energy?
Also to create the gust I am using a fan with a certain power (45W) can this be utilized?

The turbine is vertical axis as in:
Code:
O--O--O
   |
-------
O     O

The formula for kinetic energy of the wind I have is:
K.E. = 1/2*m*v^2
where M=p*A*v*t
A=the area of the turbine that is affected by the wind

p=density of air
M=mass
v=velocity
Now the problem I have is to determine A. I have six cups with 60degrees between them. What is A?

Ok I understand A now but what is t. What I have without t is some kind of power output. Can this be compared with the power output of the car and in that case what is the power output of the car or can the wind power be made energy?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let me guess -- you're trying to put a fan and a windmill on top of the same car to make a car that requires no fuel, yes?

- Warren

Heh no, but that sounds like fun
The fan is stationary somewhere and the car (with a mounted windmill on it) is in the gust from the fan...

There are too many variables here to attempt to solve this analytically.

- Warren

Seen similar articles somewhere else...

(kinetic energy flux) = .5 p V3 A, where p is the kinetic energy density J/m³, V is the velocity of the wind, A is the cross sectional area of the wind on the turbine.

which they get from kinetic energy=1/2mv^2 where m/s = pAv (p as in density) giving that the flux is energy/s some kind of power. How could this power then be compared to the power of my car, how to I calculate my car's power output?

It is definitely not impossible, if done experimentally.

Anything can be done experimentally. But there are too many variables for this to be calculated analytically, as I said. The statement "I have a fan that uses 45W" provides nowhere near enough information to be able to determine how much energy will be incident on your "turbine." You need to do some experiments.

- Warren

ponjavic said:
The formula for kinetic energy of the wind I have is:
K.E. = 1/2*m*v^2
where M=p*A*v*t
A=the area of the turbine that is affected by the wind

p=density of air
M=mass
v=velocity
Now the problem I have is to determine A. I have six cups with 60degrees between them. What is A?

Ok I understand A now but what is t. What I have without t is some kind of power output. Can this be compared with the power output of the car and in that case what is the power output of the car or can the wind power be made energy?
What you want to do is express the useable power generated by the wind turbine as a fraction of the total available power.

You have to measure the useable car power which is the difficult part. There are various ways to do it (for example: measure the time it takes to climb a hill of height h. The power is: mgh/t where m is the car mass and t is the time)

The determination of the available power should be a fairly straightforward exercise. The available power is the energy / unit time of a linear stream of air of area A and speed v. (ie. the stream whose energy your turbine is trying to capture).

The energy/time of this stream is:

(1)[tex]P_{wind} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2/\Delta t[/tex] where m is the total mass of air in that stream flowing past a given point in the time interval [itex]\Delta t[/itex]

That mass is:

[tex]m = \rho A\Delta s = \rho Av\Delta t [/tex] where [itex]\Delta s[/itex] is the length of the air mass

It should be easy to work out the power from that.

To get the efficiency of your car, measure the power output and express it as a percentage of [itex]P_{wind}[/itex] ie.

[tex]\eta = \frac{P_{car}}{P_{wind}}[/tex]

AM

1. What is the efficiency of a power driven car?

The efficiency of a power driven car is a measure of how well it converts the energy from fuel into useful work. It is typically expressed as a percentage, with higher percentages indicating a more efficient car.

2. How is the efficiency of a power driven car calculated?

The efficiency of a power driven car is calculated by dividing the amount of useful work done (such as moving the car forward) by the total energy input (such as the fuel consumed). This calculation takes into account factors such as engine design, transmission, and aerodynamics.

3. What factors can affect the efficiency of a power driven car?

Several factors can affect the efficiency of a power driven car, including the type of fuel used, the design and condition of the engine, the weight and aerodynamics of the car, and driving habits (such as excessive idling or aggressive acceleration).

4. How does the efficiency of a power driven car impact the environment?

The efficiency of a power driven car can have a significant impact on the environment. A more efficient car will produce less greenhouse gas emissions and use less non-renewable resources, making it more environmentally friendly. It can also help reduce air pollution and improve overall air quality.

5. What are some ways to improve the efficiency of a power driven car?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of a power driven car, including regular maintenance, using high-quality fuel, driving at a steady speed, avoiding excessive idling, and reducing unnecessary weight in the car. Choosing a car with a higher fuel efficiency rating and considering alternative fuel options can also improve overall efficiency.