Probability current inside the barrier of a finitie square potential well

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the probability current density given a wave function of the form ψ=C*e^(kx) + D*e^(-kx). By plugging in and simplifying, the expression simplifies to Jx=(i*hbar/m)*[D*conj(D) - C*conj(C)]. From here, the final step is to use the fact that k is a purely imaginary number, which allows us to rewrite the expression as Jx=(i*k*hbar/m)[c*conj(D) - conj(C)*D]. This completes the derivation of the probability current density formula.
StephenD420
if ψ=C*e^(kx) + D*e^(-kx)
show that the probability current density is
Jx=(i*k*hbar/m)[c*conj(D) - conj(C)*D]

since Jx= (i*hbar/2m)*[ψ * derivative of conj(ψ) - conj(ψ)*derivative of ψ]
ψ=C*e^(kx) + D*e^(-kx)
conj(ψ)= conj(C)*e^(-kx) + conj(D)*e^(kx)
ψ ' = C*k*e^(kx) - D*K*e^(-kx)
derivative of conj(ψ) = -conj(C)*k*e^(-kx) + conj(D) *k*e^(kx)

plugging in and simplifying I get

Jx = (i*hbar/2m)*[-C*conj(C)*k - k*conj(C)*D*e^(-2kx) + C*conj(D)*k*e^(2kx) + D*conj(D)*k -C*conj(C)*k -C*conj(D)*k*e^(2kx) + conj(C)*D*k*e^(-2kx) +D*conj(D)*k]

which simplifies to
Jx = (i*hbar/2m)*[-2*c*conj(C)*k + 2*D*conj(D)*k]
Jx = (i*hbar/m)*[D*conj(D) - C*conj(C)]

how do I get from here to
Jx=(i*k*hbar/m)[c*conj(D) - conj(C)*D]

Thanks so much for any help you guys can provide. I am really stuck as to what to do next.
Thanks.
Stephen

Physics news on Phys.org
bump...
Please help me with a nudge to finish this problem up.

Thank you for any help you guys can give me. I really appreciate it.
Stephen

1. What is probability current inside the barrier of a finite square potential well?

The probability current inside the barrier of a finite square potential well is a measure of the flow of probability through the barrier. It describes the rate at which particles are likely to pass through the barrier and is an important concept in quantum mechanics.

2. How is probability current inside the barrier of a finite square potential well calculated?

The probability current inside the barrier of a finite square potential well is calculated using the probability density and the velocity of the particle. It can be expressed as the product of these two quantities and is typically measured in units of probability per unit time.

3. What factors affect the probability current inside the barrier of a finite square potential well?

The probability current inside the barrier of a finite square potential well is affected by the width and height of the barrier, the energy of the particle, and the mass of the particle. Additionally, the shape of the potential well and any external forces can also impact the probability current.

4. How does the probability current inside the barrier of a finite square potential well relate to tunneling?

The probability current inside the barrier of a finite square potential well is closely related to the concept of tunneling. In tunneling, particles can pass through a barrier even though they do not have enough energy to overcome it. The probability current helps to describe the likelihood of this occurring.

5. Can the probability current inside the barrier of a finite square potential well be negative?

No, the probability current inside the barrier of a finite square potential well cannot be negative. This is because probability is always a positive quantity and it represents the likelihood of particles passing through the barrier, rather than a physical flow of particles. A negative probability current would not have a physical meaning in this context.