Should I Switch from Teaching to Petroleum Engineering?

• Thread starter k4br0ntx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary, the person is a public school teacher in Houston making 50k, but wants a more challenging job. They have been accepted into an engineering program at University of Houston for a second bachelor's degree. They are fluent in Spanish and want to work in an engineering field that allows them to use their language and collaborate with others. They currently make close to 55k with summer school and want a job that pays 75k or more. They also desire a job that involves travel and are considering Petroleum Engineering. They feel they can do more than just teaching and welcome any ideas.
k4br0ntx
I am a public school teacher and make 50k living in Houston. Last year I earned an award for best teacher at my school, but I want to do something more challenging. I just got accepted to the engineering program at University of Houston. I will be pursuing my second bachelor's degree.

1) I speak fluent Spanish. I want to work in an engineering field that allows me to use my language as part of my job. I'm very good at working with other people.

2) I'm currently making close to 55k if i teach summer school so I want to choose something where I can make 75k+. Bad thing about teaching is that my salary will pretty much stay the same until I retire...which is a long time from now lol

3) I want a job that allows me to travel around the world.

My teaching job provides me with a "steady paycheck" and its a little scary going back to school. I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching. However I feel that I can do more than just be a teacher. I'm considering Petroleum Engineering. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you already know what you want. The next step is achieving it.

What can I do to better engage my students in the classroom?

One way to engage students is to incorporate interactive activities and discussions into your lessons. You can also try to relate the material to their interests or real-world situations.

How can I handle difficult students or disruptive behavior?

First, it's important to establish clear expectations and consequences for behavior in the classroom. You can also try to understand the root of the behavior and address it with the student one-on-one. Seeking support from colleagues or administrators can also be helpful.

What strategies can I use to differentiate instruction for students with diverse learning needs?

Some strategies you can use include providing multiple ways for students to demonstrate their understanding, using visual aids and manipulatives, and offering additional support or accommodations for students who need them.

How can I effectively communicate with parents and involve them in their child's education?

Regular communication through emails, newsletters, and conferences can help keep parents informed about their child's progress. You can also involve them in classroom activities or volunteer opportunities.

What can I do to continue growing and improving as a teacher?

Continuing education and professional development opportunities can help you stay updated on the latest teaching strategies and techniques. Seeking feedback from colleagues, students, and parents can also help you identify areas for improvement.