Matrix Vector Transpose

In summary, to find the least squares polynomial of degree 2 to approximate the given points, you can use the normal equation Ac=v, where A is the matrix calculated previously and v is the transpose of the vector [10, 11, 12]. The solution vector c, found using double precision calculations with the original data, is the transpose of the vector [13, 14, 15], giving the coefficients for the polynomial 13x^2 + 14x + 15.
Ruminator
To find the least squares polynomial of degree 2 to
approximate points (X,Y) given in the table

X_____________Y

1_____________36
1.9_____________-49
2.9_____________23
4_____________-38
5.1_____________-14

the normal equations to be solved have the form
A c = v, where A is the matrix (NOT NECESSARILY DISPLAYED TO THE
PRECISION USED FOR THE CALCULATIONS)
_ _
| |
| _____ 1______ _____ 2______ _____ 3______ |
| _____ 4______ _____ 5______ _____ 6______ |
| _____ 7______ _____ 8______ _____ 9______ |
|_ _|

and c is the coefficient vector for the polynomial;
and v is the transpose of the vector:
_ _
| |
| _____10______ _____11______ _____12______ |
|_ _|

The solution vector c (FOUND USING DOUBLE PRECISION
CALCULATIONS with the ORIGINAL DATA above) is
the transpose of vector:
_ _
| |
| _____13______ _____14______ _____15______ |
|_ _|

Homework Equations

Ac=v

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I've got the first part; i.e. solving the matrix:

5.1________14.9_________55.03
14.9_______55.03________228.899
55.03______228.899______1017.2803

Now, I'm clueless as to how to proceed from here on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please help me out here?

Thank you for your interest in finding the least squares polynomial of degree 2 to approximate the given points. You are correct in solving the matrix A to find the coefficients for the polynomial.

To find the coefficients, you can use the normal equation Ac=v, where A is the matrix you have already calculated and v is the transpose of the vector [10, 11, 12]. The solution vector c will give you the coefficients for the polynomial in the form [a, b, c] where the polynomial is ax^2 + bx + c.

Using double precision calculations with the original data, the solution vector c is the transpose of the vector [13, 14, 15]. This means that the least squares polynomial of degree 2 to approximate the given points is 13x^2 + 14x + 15.

I hope this helps to answer your question. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is the definition of a matrix vector transpose?

A matrix vector transpose is an operation that flips a matrix over its diagonal, switching the rows and columns. This results in a new matrix with the rows and columns interchanged.

2. How is a matrix vector transpose represented mathematically?

A matrix vector transpose is represented by adding a superscript "T" to the matrix, such as AT.

3. What is the purpose of performing a matrix vector transpose?

The purpose of performing a matrix vector transpose is to convert a column vector into a row vector, or vice versa. This can be useful in various mathematical operations and transformations, such as solving linear systems or calculating inner products.

4. Can a matrix vector transpose be performed on matrices of any size?

Yes, a matrix vector transpose can be performed on any matrix, regardless of its size. However, the resulting transposed matrix will have the same number of rows and columns as the original matrix.

5. How does a matrix vector transpose affect the shape and orientation of the matrix?

A matrix vector transpose does not change the shape of the matrix, but it does change its orientation. The rows and columns are switched, resulting in a new matrix that is the same size as the original but with the rows and columns interchanged.