Misc Questions: Virtual work, RMS, Friction on incline, and Virtual Displacement

In summary: of the cylinder and eventually bring it to a stop at the top of the incline,,,,so friction force will act in upward direction
mishima
I have a few questions I thought I'd post together instead of making separate threads, hope that's ok. They are more or less unrelated...

1. Are there 2 conceptual ideas that use the term "virtual work"? I am familiar with the one from intro level physics, but I read there is also one from calculus of variations and could not tell if it was really the same thing or not (due to hardcore ignorance of calculus of variations). Also "virtual work" is totally unrelated to "pseudo work" (internal energy), right?

2. Why is the root mean square used in kinetic theory as opposed to other averaging methods? I understand it accounts for negative velocities but can't other statistical methods do that as well? Was it that this just happened to be chosen by Maxwell?

3. What is the direction of the force of friction for a cylinder rolling up an incline? I know its up the incline for when its rolling down...need help with a better way to think about this. I know that the net acceleration must be down for the object to decelerate as it travels up the incline, but not sure if friction is adding to the force due to gravity or subtracting. I feel stupid for not getting this.

4. Can someone give an example of a problem which requires the solver to use an impossible virtual displacement?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
mishima said:
3. What is the direction of the force of friction for a cylinder rolling up an incline? I know its up the incline for when its rolling down.
The friction force is related to acceleration, not velocity, so it doesn't matter if the initial state has the cylinder rolling up or down the incline, the friction force is up the incline (due to the angular inertia of the cylinder "resisting" the downwards acceleration of gravity).

to find out direction of friction force,,,, just assume the surfaces smooth,,,,then find out direction of relative motion between the two surfaces,,,,the friction will always try to stop this relative motion,,,,
in ur case when the cylinder is rolling up,,,frictional force (acting upward) will provide necessary torque to retard(angular velocity)

1. What is virtual work and why is it important?

Virtual work is a concept in physics and engineering that involves the analysis of forces and displacements in a system without the system actually undergoing physical changes. It is important because it allows for the calculation of work and energy in systems that are not in equilibrium, making it useful in understanding the behavior of complex systems such as machines and structures.

2. What is the root mean square (RMS) and how is it calculated?

The root mean square (RMS) is a statistical measure of the average value of a set of values, taking into account both positive and negative values. In physics, it is often used to calculate the effective value of alternating current (AC) signals. To calculate the RMS, the square of each value is taken, then the average is calculated, and finally the square root of the average is taken.

3. How does friction affect an object on an incline?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. When an object is on an incline, the force of friction acts parallel to the surface of the incline, in the opposite direction of the motion of the object. This force can either help or hinder the object's motion, depending on the direction of the incline and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface.

4. What is virtual displacement and how is it used in physics?

Virtual displacement is a small, hypothetical change in the position of a system without actually moving it. It is often used in physics to analyze the stability and equilibrium of systems, as well as to calculate work and energy in non-equilibrium situations.

5. How are virtual work and virtual displacement related?

Virtual work and virtual displacement are closely related concepts, as they both involve analyzing a system without any actual physical changes taking place. Virtual work is used to calculate the work and energy in a system, while virtual displacement is used to determine the stability and equilibrium of the system. Both concepts are important in understanding the behavior of complex systems in physics and engineering.