Pump Installation | College Days | Parallel vs Series

In summary: So you control the pump outlet one by one and open it when you need more flow from one pump and close it when you need more flow from the other pump.
eaaaazizo
in college days it is known that if you want double pressure install the pumps in series if you need double flow install the pumps parallel. but in actual field i have two pumps installed in parallel in Sewer Pump Station one as on duty and the second one is assist. but while both pumps running, i never get flow rate equal to two pumps flow rate for example i have two pumps with each pump capacity 100 l/s but if both if them runing i have only 120 l/s

i can't understand this ? and how to control raising main diameter to get maximam flow while both pumps are running ? it is really difficult ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In a fixed piping system, you can neither double the pressure without affecting flow nor double the flow without more pressure. The rule of thumb ignores the piping system.

russ_watters said:
In a fixed piping system, you can neither double the pressure without affecting flow nor double the flow without more pressure. The rule of thumb ignores the piping system.

Thanks for your kind replay but now in design stage how could I reach douple flow while both pump runing by increasing pipes dia ??

With two pumps in parallel and twice the piping cross sectional area.

but if i increased the cross sectional area to be twice. while one pump runing the area will be very wide which will reduce the head and increase the flow and increaing the power consumed

The pipe system flow resistance normally is binomial equation to flowrate. So when two pumps working together, the system flow resistance will also increase, finally you will not get double flowrate.

One way to increase the flowrate for two pumps working, you'd try best to separate the connecting pipe of the two pumps. Like as: the pipe for each pump only gather with short length; each pump outlet need valve to control "open" or "close".

1. What is the process for installing a pump?

The process for installing a pump involves several steps. First, the site where the pump will be installed must be prepared and any necessary permits obtained. Then, the pump must be selected based on the specific needs of the application. Next, the pump must be assembled and any required wiring or plumbing connections made. Finally, the pump must be tested and adjusted to ensure proper operation.

2. What are the benefits of a pump installation during college days?

Installing a pump during college days can provide hands-on experience and practical application of engineering principles. It can also save money on labor costs and provide a reliable water source for experiments or other projects.

3. What is the difference between parallel and series pump installation?

In a parallel pump installation, each pump is connected to the same source and works independently to move water. This allows for increased flow rate and redundancy if one pump fails. In a series pump installation, multiple pumps are connected in a line and work together to move water. This allows for increased pressure, but if one pump fails, the entire system may stop working.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing between parallel and series pump installation?

The main factors to consider are the required flow rate and pressure for the application, as well as the availability of backup pumps. If a high flow rate is needed, a parallel installation may be more suitable. If high pressure is needed, a series installation may be better. Additionally, if backup pumps are readily available, a series installation may be a good option.

5. What are the key components of a pump installation?

The key components of a pump installation include the pump itself, which moves water, as well as a power source, plumbing or piping for water flow, and control systems to regulate the pump's operation. Other optional components may include filters, valves, and pressure gauges.