Career switch from biomed to maths/physics? Too old?

In summary, the speaker has recently completed a Master's degree in biomedical science and is now working in a genetic diagnostics lab, but has a strong interest in pursuing a career in mathematics, physics, and programming. They are seeking opinions on making a career change into finance, potentially through obtaining a PhD in physics. The speaker is 24 years old and is concerned about their age being a disadvantage in the job market. Another suggestion is to consider a degree in biophysics, biomedical engineering, biophysical chemistry, or materials science, which would provide the quantitative training desired while still utilizing their background in biomedical science. The speaker is also encouraged to explore various techniques and technologies, such as lensless X-ray imaging and optical spectroscopy, that combine physics
xcss
Hello PF inhabitants,

I have just finished 5 years of university culminating in a Master's degree in biomedical science. I now work in a genetic diagnostics lab. Problem is I always had a deep 'urge' to do something quantitative and I always liked the seemingly inapplicable aspects of maths/physics (at least from what I have been exposed to in layman science books).

I am considering retraining in maths/physics/programming but this will be a complete u-turn for me. I know some of you are knowledgeable in physics into finance transitions and wonder what is your opinion on such a career path change?

Also, if I went all the way to do PhD in physics, would I be too 'old' to get into entry-level roles in finance if I am unable to find a position in academia? I am 24 now, and at the soonest I would start my new degree next year. I feel like completely retraining would put me at a major disadvantage when I start looking for jobs due to my age.

Any opinion or comments would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not biophysics, biomedical engineering, biophysical chemistry or materials science (in biomaterials)?

That way you'll get the quantitative training you want. Biomolecule/biomaterial spectroscopy, crystallography, simulation, computational genetics and medical device design are highly quantitative. I know some labs that do ultrafast X-ray diffraction studies that image biomolecules with an extremely short X-ray flash, so fast that the protein or DNA can't even vibrate in that time. This requires lensless X-ray imaging techniques which are highly computational and train you in X-ray optics which is highly useful in biomedical research, biochemistry, security, materials science and electronics. Take a look at these guys: http://physics.asu.edu/home/people/faculty/john-spence

There's also a lot of work in optical spectroscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance, scanning probe techniques, etc. There's also theoretical techniques in molecular dynamics and Monte Carlo simulations of biopolymer dynamics. There's ALOT of physics and physical chemistry in biology, but sadly, its never taught in biology courses.

It also won't waste your biomedical background. It would be a smooth progression, unlike say... particle physics which is totally new.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can I switch from a biomed career to a career in maths or physics?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a career in biomedicine to a career in mathematics or physics. While there may be some challenges, it is definitely achievable with determination and the right resources.

2. Will my age be a barrier for switching careers?

No, age should not be a barrier for switching careers. Many people make successful career switches at different stages of their lives, and age should not be a limiting factor.

3. Do I need to have a background in maths or physics to switch careers?

Having a background in maths or physics can certainly be helpful when switching careers, but it is not always necessary. With dedication and a willingness to learn, you can acquire the necessary skills and knowledge to transition into a career in maths or physics.

4. What steps should I take to switch from biomed to maths or physics?

The first step would be to research and understand the job market and requirements for a career in maths or physics. You may also need to take some courses or acquire additional skills to make the transition smoother. Networking and seeking advice from professionals in the field can also be beneficial.

5. What are the benefits of switching to a career in maths or physics?

Switching to a career in maths or physics can open up new and exciting opportunities in fields such as research, data analysis, and technology. These fields are also in high demand and can offer competitive salaries and job stability.