Solving for time and displacement

In summary, Sarah is walking at a speed of 1.5m/s and slips on ice with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.060. She has a mass of 40.0 kg. To find the time it takes for her to come to a stop, we can use the equations F=ma and v(t)= at+ v0. The second equation involves both time and displacement, but the first equation only involves mass and acceleration. Knowing that Sarah's final speed is 0, we can find the time and then use it in the second equation to calculate the distance she traveled.
Tabe
Ok, here's the problem that I am working on now.
Sarah is walking at a speed of 1.5m/s when she accidentally slips on a patch of ice whose coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.060. If Sarah has a mass of 40.0 kg, how long before she comes to a stop on the ice?
I'm stuck because I don't know which equation to use to solve for time or displacement. Each equation that I have has both variables in it. Also, where does the coefficient of kinetic friction factor into the equation. I solved for the normal force, and force of friction, but I still ended up in a dead end.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the equations you have:

F= ma: Force= mass*acceleration. You know Sarah's mass so you can calculate Sarah's weight so you can calculate the Force slowing Sarah down. From F= ma, you can calculate the acceleration. Apparently you have already done that: great!

v(t)= at+ v0
velocity at time t, with initial velocity v0= 1.5 m/s.

x(t)= (a/2)t2+ v0t
x(t) is the distance Sarah went in time t.

You're right: the second equation involves both x and t. But the first equation doesn't involve x. You know that Sarah's final speed is 0 ("she comes to a stop") so at+ 1.5= 0. You know a, so you can find t.

Now that you know t, use the second equation to calculate x.

To solve for time and displacement in this problem, you will need to use the equation for Newton's Second Law of Motion: F = ma. In this case, the force acting on Sarah is the force of friction, which is equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction (μ) multiplied by the normal force (mg). So the equation becomes F = μmg.

To solve for time, you will need to use the equation for acceleration: a = F/m. Plug in the values for the force of friction and Sarah's mass, and you will get the acceleration (a) on the ice.

Next, you can use the equation for displacement: d = v0t + 1/2at^2. In this case, v0 is Sarah's initial velocity, which is 1.5m/s. You can set the final displacement (d) to be 0, since Sarah will come to a stop on the ice. You can also plug in the acceleration (a) that you calculated earlier. This will give you an equation with only one variable, time (t).

To solve for time, you can use the quadratic formula: t = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac))/2a. In this case, a = 1/2a, b = v0, and c = -d. Plug in the values and solve for t. This will give you the time it takes for Sarah to come to a stop on the ice.

To solve for displacement, you can use the same equation, but plug in the value you got for time (t) and solve for d. This will give you the distance Sarah traveled before coming to a stop on the ice.

Remember to always check your units and make sure they are consistent. Also, don't forget to include the units when writing your final answer. I hope this helps you solve the problem!

What is the formula for solving for time and displacement?

The formula for solving for time and displacement is d = vt, where d is the displacement, v is the velocity, and t is the time.

How do you find the displacement when given the velocity and time?

To find the displacement, you can use the formula d = vt, where d is the displacement, v is the velocity, and t is the time. Simply plug in the given values and solve for d.

What is the unit of measurement for time and displacement?

The unit of measurement for time is typically seconds (s) and the unit for displacement is typically meters (m).

Can you solve for time and displacement if given only one variable?

No, you need at least two out of the three variables (displacement, velocity, time) to solve for the remaining variable. If you are given only one variable, you would need to be given a constant value for one of the other variables in order to solve for the remaining one.

How does solving for time and displacement relate to motion?

Solving for time and displacement is a fundamental concept in the study of motion. It allows us to understand how objects move and predict their future positions. By solving for time and displacement, we can calculate an object's velocity and acceleration, which are key components of motion.