Back to School: Refreshing Math for 25yo

• Thread starter drgarthon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the individual is 25 years old and has 2 years of college experience in a biology degree from when they were 19-20. However, they joined the army and did not leave on good terms, resulting in mostly D grades in their last semester. They are now interested in pursuing a degree in physics, astronomy, or astrophysics, but need to refresh their math skills. They are wondering if they should buy a book like Algebra for Dummies or retake math courses to relearn the material. It is recommended to retake the courses to have proof of academic qualification, especially for universities. If in the reserves or National Guard, they can apply to schools in NJ for free education.
drgarthon
Hey everyone, I'm 25 years old. I have 2 years of college under my belt (bio degree) from when I was 19-20. However, I didn't leave under very good terms, I joined the army and pretty much gave up on my last semester of classes, I believe most of my grades were D's that final semester. I'm really wanting to go back to school for physics/astronomy/astrophysics, however, I really need to relearn a lot of the math that I have forgotten. What is the best way to do this? Should I go buy a book like Algebra for Dummies and work through it as a refresher, or should I just retake a math course or two to relearn everything? Any inpute is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
drgarthon said:
Hey everyone, I'm 25 years old. I have 2 years of college under my belt (bio degree) from when I was 19-20. However, I didn't leave under very good terms, I joined the army and pretty much gave up on my last semester of classes, I believe most of my grades were D's that final semester. I'm really wanting to go back to school for physics/astronomy/astrophysics, however, I really need to relearn a lot of the math that I have forgotten. What is the best way to do this? Should I go buy a book like Algebra for Dummies and work through it as a refresher, or should I just retake a math course or two to relearn everything? Any inpute is appreciated

A university would like to see the math courses on your transcripts. Many people can go through books on their own and probably learn the material, but the school has no proof. By taking a courses and doing well in it, the school can see your academic qualification. If you are in the reserves or National Guard, apply to schools in NJ. I know with the NG, you will go to school in NJ for free if accepted (public institutions). The reserves I believe it is the same deal but not 100% sure.

1. What are the basic math skills needed for a 25-year-old going back to school?

As a scientist, I would say the basic math skills needed for a 25-year-old going back to school would include a strong foundation in arithmetic, algebra, and geometry. It is also important to have a good understanding of fractions, decimals, and percentages.

2. How can I refresh my math skills after a long break?

To refresh math skills after a long break, it is important to start by reviewing the basics and then gradually move on to more advanced topics. Practice is key, so working through problems and exercises is a great way to refresh your skills. It may also be helpful to seek out online resources or enroll in a refresher course.

3. What are some tips for staying motivated while refreshing math skills?

Staying motivated while refreshing math skills can be challenging, but setting specific goals and tracking progress can help. It's also important to take breaks and not get discouraged if you struggle with certain concepts. Seeking out a study partner or joining a study group can also provide motivation and accountability.

4. How can I apply math in my everyday life?

Math is used in many aspects of everyday life, from budgeting and cooking to calculating tips and understanding interest rates. It can also be applied in problem-solving situations, helping to develop critical thinking skills. Practicing mental math and trying to apply math in everyday situations can help to improve your skills and make math more relevant.

5. What are some resources for refreshing math skills?

There are many resources available for refreshing math skills, such as online courses, textbooks, and practice problems. Khan Academy, Coursera, and edX are popular online platforms that offer free math courses. Your local library or bookstore may also have resources available for borrowing or purchase. Additionally, many schools offer tutoring services or math help centers for students.