Hamiltonian and lagrangian mechanics

In summary, The Hamiltonian operator and Hamiltonian mechanics are not necessary to understand quantum mechanics, but they can be very useful and convenient. It is common for physics undergraduates to first encounter these concepts when studying QM. While they are not required, understanding Hamiltonian mechanics can help in making connections between classical and quantum mechanics. However, it is possible to study QM without prior knowledge of general physics, as long as one has a strong grasp on linear algebra, calculus, and complex variables.
robertjford80
i'm just ready to start QM and I looked at the text and I turned to Shro eq to see if I could understand it and they mentioned Hamiltonian operator. It looked like the book assumed knowledge of H and L mechanics. Do I need to know this stuff? I wasn't told by others that I needed this. I was told just know Calc, Linear Alg and Diff Eq and statistics and you'll be fine.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calc, Linear Alg and Diff eqs are the math requirements. You don't HAVE to know hamiltonian mechanics to do QM, but it is very convenient.

I think most physics undergrads first hear about the Hamiltonian operator (and thus the Hamiltonian function) when doing QM.

Basically you need to know Hamiltonian mechanics to understand why quantum mechanics is formulated the way it is. You also need it when you want to quantize a classical system using the canonical quantization scheme.

Look at a copy of Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics. He reviews Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics in chapter 2 I believe and constantly discusses the connection between these subjects and QM throughout the book.

These days, undergrads learn about the basic ideas of QM w/o having been introduced to Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics. Unless you get very pedantic and want to know the full meaning of the Hamiltonian operator and how this idea of the Hamiltonian was borrowed from classical mechanics into quantum mechanics, unless you want that level of rigour, you should be fine w/o knowing H and L mechanics. But, just to throw caution to the wind, learning the foundations of qm, i.e. the mathematical formulation of qm in all its generality requires the understanding of l and h mechanics, but you don't meet such courses until well into your third year at uk unis (if you studdy theo physics) or graduate courses in the states.

I had 2 full courses in Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics before my first QM. Not necessary, but having taken them can give you a warm fuzzy feeling when you make the connection between all the Dirac notation jargon and classical mechanics with Ehrenfest's theorem, Hamilton's and Newton's equations for the expectation values of observables, the harmonic oscillator, etc.

In fact I believe you could tear through QM without knowing any general physics at all if your control of linear algebra and calculus + complex variables is impeccable.

ok, thanks for the advice. remember impeccable etymologically means without sin.

1. What is the difference between Hamiltonian and Lagrangian mechanics?

Hamiltonian mechanics and Lagrangian mechanics are two different mathematical approaches to describing the motion of physical systems. The main difference between them is that Hamiltonian mechanics uses the Hamiltonian function, which is a combination of the system's kinetic and potential energy, to describe the system's dynamics. On the other hand, Lagrangian mechanics uses the Lagrangian function, which is the difference between the system's kinetic and potential energy, to describe the system's dynamics.

2. What is the principle of least action in Lagrangian mechanics?

The principle of least action is a fundamental concept in Lagrangian mechanics. It states that the motion of a physical system is determined by the path that minimizes the action, which is the integral of the Lagrangian function over time. This principle is based on the idea that nature always seeks the path of least resistance, or the path that requires the least amount of energy to be expended.

3. How is the Hamiltonian derived in Hamiltonian mechanics?

The Hamiltonian in Hamiltonian mechanics is derived from the Lagrangian by performing a mathematical transformation called the Legendre transformation. This transformation converts the Lagrangian function, which is expressed in terms of the system's generalized coordinates and velocities, into the Hamiltonian function, which is expressed in terms of the system's generalized coordinates and momenta. The Hamiltonian function provides a more convenient and powerful way to describe the dynamics of a physical system.

4. What are the advantages of using Hamiltonian mechanics over Lagrangian mechanics?

Hamiltonian mechanics has several advantages over Lagrangian mechanics. Firstly, it provides a more intuitive and geometric way to describe the dynamics of a physical system. Secondly, it allows for the inclusion of external forces and constraints in a more straightforward manner. Lastly, it is more suitable for the study of systems with time-dependent or non-conservative forces.

5. How are Hamilton's equations of motion derived in Hamiltonian mechanics?

Hamilton's equations of motion are derived from the Hamiltonian function in Hamiltonian mechanics. These equations express the time evolution of the system's generalized coordinates and momenta, and they are equivalent to Newton's laws of motion. By solving these equations, one can obtain the complete trajectory of a physical system in phase space, which is a mathematical space that represents all possible states of the system.