Brushing up on calc to prepare for QM

• Thread starter robertjford80
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prepare Qm
In summary, Boas recommends reading Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences, Landau and Lifgarbagez, Arfken and Weber, and Schaum's Outline of Advanced Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists. He recommends studying calculus using geometric intuition, derivatives and integrals, and complex numbers. If you want to prepare for quantum mechanics, Boas recommends reading M Boas's Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences, Landau and Lifgarbagez, Arfken and Weber, and Schaum's Outline of Advanced Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists, learning calculus, and studying physics intuition.
robertjford80
I make way too many mistakes in calc so I'm going to go back and brush up so as to prepare for the exciting moment when I finally start studying QM. I'm using the Thomas text on calc, it's contents are listed below. What sections do you think I should really master. Plus David Griffiths' book uses Legendre, Hermite and Laguerre polynomials, spherical harmonics, Bessel, Neumann and Hankel functions, Airy functions and even the Riemann zeta function, plus Fourier transforms, Hilbert spaces, hermitian operators, Clebsch-Gordan coefficients and Lagrange multipliers, so you don't need to recommend studying those.

Screenshot2012-05-15at85700PM.png

Screenshot2012-05-15at85710PM.png

Screenshot2012-05-15at85717PM.png

Screenshot2012-05-15at85726PM.png

Screenshot2012-05-15at85730PM.png

Screenshot2012-05-15at85735PM.png

Screenshot2012-05-15at85743PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I just finished my first quantum mechanics course and really you should be comfortable with all of these topics. More than anything we used math from linear algebra and PDE's so calculus is just one area of math that you should study to prepare for quantum mechanics.

Uuuugh, stay away from Griffiths buddy, for your own good

Pick yourself up a copy of M Boas' Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences and read up on whatever you need to know when you encounter it.

I'd also reccomend the first third of Landau and Lifgarbagez book on non relitivistic QM as an intro to QM over Griffiths' book.

genericusrnme said:
[...]

Pick yourself up a copy of M Boas' Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences and read up on whatever you need to know when you encounter it.
[...]

To me Arfken and Weber's book is a valid alternative, too.

as for Griffith's book, yea, I looked at it and it looked extremely poor on explanations which is what I hate more than anything. I'm just going to use that book in case I can't find a problem explained elsewhere, or maybe that will be the last book I read before I move on to QFT. As for Arken, that book gets really bad reviews on Amazon.com. I think the solution manual has no answers. I hate books without answers. There's no point in doing exercise if you can't find out if you've done it right.

robertjford80 said:
as for Griffith's book, yea, I looked at it and it looked extremely poor on explanations which is what I hate more than anything. I'm just going to use that book in case I can't find a problem explained elsewhere, or maybe that will be the last book I read before I move on to QFT. As for Arken, that book gets really bad reviews on Amazon.com. I think the solution manual has no answers. I hate books without answers. There's no point in doing exercise if you can't find out if you've done it right.

You could try Schaum's Outline of Advanced Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists by Spiegel or Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Kreizig; both have the same maths as Boas but they are both far more organized and less wordy so they get straight to the point. The schaum's is chock full of fully solved problems and examples; Kreizig is too and I believe it has a separate solution manual.

If your goal is calculus for physics then make sure you have developed your geometric/physical intuition for calculus. What does the derivative mean physically (usually)? The integral? What's the logic behind the derivative tests?

Otherwise - outside of knowing how to take derivatives and integrals - specifically review integration by parts, polar and spherical coordinates, and complex numbers.

Jorriss said:
If your goal is calculus for physics then make sure you have developed your geometric/physical intuition for calculus. What does the derivative mean physically (usually)? The integral? What's the logic behind the derivative tests?
That's the hardest part, but I'm working on that.

1. What is the importance of brushing up on calculus for quantum mechanics?

Calculus is a fundamental mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions. A strong understanding of calculus is necessary to understand the complex mathematical equations and concepts in quantum mechanics.

2. What topics in calculus should I focus on for quantum mechanics?

Some important topics to review for quantum mechanics include differential and integral calculus, vector calculus, and multivariable calculus. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of functions, limits, and derivatives.

3. How can I best prepare for quantum mechanics if I am not confident in my calculus skills?

There are many online resources, textbooks, and practice problems available to help you refresh your calculus skills. It may also be helpful to seek out a tutor or study group to work through difficult concepts and equations.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of calculus to succeed in quantum mechanics?

While a strong understanding of calculus is important, it is not the only factor in succeeding in quantum mechanics. It is also important to have a solid foundation in physics and a strong problem-solving ability.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of calculus to solve problems in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, calculus is used to solve complex equations and integrals that describe the behavior of particles and their interactions. It is also used to calculate probabilities and make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.