Going to graduate school, but don't know if I really should be

In summary, it's important to have a clear plan for your graduate studies and to actively seek out opportunities that align with your interests and career goals.
Chetlin
I just graduated last week with a Math/CS degree, and I'm going to graduate school this fall at a different school for CS, working on CS theory and scientific computation (as far as I can tell). The program is really interdisciplinary so I assume I won't be kept locked up in my CS department. But... I'm really really scared that it's not a good idea, and that I'm not going to complete the entire program. The school is paying for it so money isn't an issue here.

A lot of the more technical aspects of CS, like systems etc., I really can't stand. I don't even really like "real-world" coding. And I guess everyone else can tell, because I can't for the life of me get into a software engineering internship. (Although I did get a full-time thing but had to decline it for graduate school.) But that's not for here. And the very little CS research I've done (simulation of road traffic patterns and analysis of Parikh's theorem) tended to leave me crying myself to sleep, or sometimes not even able to sleep.

So why did I apply to graduate school? I kind of didn't know what else to do, because it would at least keep me out of having to be a software engineer. And it's definitely possible that what I wind up doing at this new school I will really like. But in the recent past I took 3 physics classes for fun and really, really liked them (and as a freshman I thought physics was a stupid subject and I was so glad I didn't have to take them like the engineers did) and I also looked into a lot of engineering and saw some things there that I really liked.

Academic advisers kept telling me to apply for engineering/physics graduate programs. But I didn't. I see here people with those undergraduate degrees getting rejected left and right from graduate schools, so what chance would someone with a Math/CS degree have, who has done zero research in physics or engineering and has only taken a few courses?

So this is basically my thing. I can stick it out as long as I can in graduate school, which won't cost anything and could be something I really like, since my adviser there does a lot of work with engineers and scientists as well as theoretical CS. Or, sometime in the future, if I decide I really like one of those other fields, I could spend all the money and time it would take (probably 2 years worth) to get a second B.S. degree in an engineering field (or engineering physics).

So, what would probably be the best position for me to be in, (say) 3 years from now?

Something I should probably mention: I don't know if it's true, but things like researching quantum computers, optical computers, etc. sounds like something I could try to get into, since it seems to be a combination of the fun physics I grew to like and theoretical computer science. I think I'm going to send an email to my old quantum professor who does work in quantum computing to ask for his advice, but this may be a good place to ask too so I'll just throw it out here.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best position for you to be in three years from now would be to have a solid understanding of the areas of CS theory and scientific computation that you want to explore. That means having a clear idea of what research interests you, and being able to confidently articulate it to potential employers. If you can find a way to combine your interest in physics with computer science, that could be a great direction as well. It's also important to make sure you build a strong network of contacts who can help you find opportunities and provide advice on your career path. Having an advisor or mentor who is familiar with the industry and can provide feedback and guidance can be invaluable. Last but not least, make sure to stay up to date with the latest technologies and trends in the field. This will help you stay competitive and make sure you're always prepared for new opportunities.

1. Should I go to graduate school right after finishing my undergraduate degree?

The decision to go to graduate school immediately after completing your undergraduate degree depends on your personal goals and circumstances. Consider factors such as your passion for the subject, your financial situation, and your career goals. It may also be beneficial to gain some work experience before pursuing a graduate degree.

2. What are the benefits of going to graduate school?

Graduate school can provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in your field, making you more competitive in the job market. It can also open up opportunities for higher-paying jobs and career advancement. Additionally, graduate school can help you build a strong network of professionals in your field.

3. What are the potential drawbacks of going to graduate school?

Graduate school can be a significant time and financial commitment. You may also experience high levels of stress and pressure, as well as a competitive environment. It is important to carefully consider your reasons for pursuing a graduate degree and make sure it aligns with your long-term goals.

4. What should I consider when choosing a graduate program?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a graduate program, including the reputation of the program and faculty, the curriculum and courses offered, the research opportunities available, the location and cost of the program, and the potential for financial aid or assistantships.

5. How can I prepare for graduate school?

To prepare for graduate school, you can start by researching programs and their requirements, studying for standardized tests such as the GRE, and gaining relevant experience through internships or research opportunities. Additionally, make sure to maintain good academic standing and develop strong relationships with professors who can provide letters of recommendation.