How can I solve for x in the equation sin(ax+b)=c without using arcsin?

• Thread starter moouers
  • Start date
In summary, if you want to solve for x in the equation sin(ax+b)=c, and you're not allowed to use arcsin(c), you can use the following equation: x=\frac{arcsin(c)+b}{a} or x=\frac{k\pi-b}{a} if c=0.
moouers

Homework Statement

Hello,

I have a homework problem where I am trying to solve for x in the following equation:

sin(ax+b)=c

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my answer:

x=[itex]\frac{arcsin(c)-b}{a}[/itex]

My question is, is this all I can do? Unless there is something I am neglecting, it seems fairly restrictive on what x can equal, due to the domain restrictions of the arcsin. Is there any other way of solving this without using arcsin?

Physics news on Phys.org
moouers said:

Homework Statement

Hello,

I have a homework problem where I am trying to solve for x in the following equation:

sin(ax+b)=c

Homework Equations

This is my answer:

My question is, is this all I can do? Unless there is something I am neglecting, it seems fairly restrictive on what x can equal, due to the domain restrictions of the arcsin. Is there any other way of solving this without using arcsin?
Yes, there are other answers.

If sin(ax+b)=c then also sin(ax+b+2πk)=c where k is an integer. This is because of the sine function's periodicity.

It's also true that sin(π-θ) = sin(θ) . Therefore, if sin(ax+b)=c, then also sin(π-ax-b)=c .

moouers said:

Homework Statement

Hello,

sin(ax+b)=c

Homework Equations

This is my answer:

No you need the arcsin(c). However, that just gives you the principal value (the single value between -π/2 and π/2). To get the complete solution set, you need to consider the periodicity of the sine function. Since the sine function is periodic with period 2π, your complete solution set is described by:

[itex]x = \frac{\arcsin c - b + 2k\pi}{a}[/itex] where [itex]c \neq 0[/itex]

and

[itex]x = \frac{k\pi - b}{a}[/itex] where [itex]c = 0[/itex]

since in the latter case, the sines of all multiples of π equal zero.

As SammyS pointed out, [itex]\sin(\pi - \theta) = \sin \theta[/itex]. In fact, this is true for all odd multiples of [itex]\pi[/itex], so an additional solution exists:

[itex]x = \frac{(2k+1)\pi - \arcsin c - b}{a}[/itex] for any c.

In all of the above, k can take any integer value (positive, negative or zero).

If you're asked to restrict your solutions to a narrow range, just use the values that satisfy your range.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, folks. I really appreciate it. I figured it had something to do with k[itex]\pi[/itex] and 2k[itex]\pi[/itex], so I'll mull over these posts some more.

What does "Sin(ax+b)=c" mean?

The equation "Sin(ax+b)=c" is an expression that relates the sine of a variable (x) multiplied by a constant (a) and added to another constant (b) to a given value (c).

What is the purpose of solving for x in "Sin(ax+b)=c"?

Solving for x allows us to find the value or values of the variable that make the equation true.

What are the steps to solve "Sin(ax+b)=c" for x?

The steps to solve "Sin(ax+b)=c" for x are as follows:
1. Isolate the sine term by subtracting b from both sides.
2. Divide both sides by a to get rid of the coefficient.
3. Take the inverse sine (arcsine) of both sides.
4. Simplify.
5. Solve for x.

Are there any restrictions or special cases to consider when solving "Sin(ax+b)=c" for x?

Yes, there are a few things to consider when solving "Sin(ax+b)=c" for x:
- The value of x must be within the domain of the inverse sine function.
- If the value of c is outside the range of -1 to 1, then the equation has no solution.
- If there is more than one solution, the general solution can be expressed as x = nπ - arcsin(c) - b/a, where n is an integer.

Can "Sin(ax+b)=c" be solved using different methods?

Yes, there are alternative methods to solve "Sin(ax+b)=c" for x, such as using a graphing calculator or trigonometric identities. However, the steps outlined above are the most common and efficient way to solve this type of equation.