Affluence and its impact on scoiety.

• Thread starter thorium1010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impact
In summary, there is no clear correlation between affluence and laziness or lack of motivation in academics. While some may argue that those with more material wealth may have less motivation due to their already comfortable lifestyle, others believe that motivation is driven by personal factors and not solely by financial gain. Additionally, studies have shown that intrinsic motivation, rather than extrinsic rewards, is a stronger driver for success in academics. Ultimately, the role of affluence in motivation and academic success is complex and cannot be generalized.
thorium1010
Affluence and its effect on society.

Does affluence make people lazy and less motivated to strive for excellence in academics ? is there any correlation ?
Just want some opinion or articles that i can read.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it all depends on your personal motivation for doing things. I've seen lazy rich people, lazy poor people, and everything in between.

Guess you work harder at school if you need the education to get a good material life, but at least where I am from you don't work to succeed in academia because of the money.

MaxManus said:
Guess you work harder at school if you need the education to get a good material life, but at least where I am from you don't work to succeed in academia because of the money.

I don't agree. There are millions of people out there that have very little yet don't even attempt to work hard and get an education. I think there are a great many reasons for this, ranging from social pressure, lack of money, little interest in being educated, not believing that they can get educated and get a good job, etc.

I've never seen statistics on this. I'd be interested if there are any.

I know there's a correlation between affluence, intelligence, and education. These all make sense. I don't know how laziness fits in, though.

As far as motivation goes, there's a TED talk about intrinsic vs. extrinsic motivation. Basically, does money motivate people, and if not, what does? He argues that reward/punishment motivation is only effective if thought/creativity is not involved. When thought/creativity is involved, he says that reward/punishment reduces productivity. Autonomy, Mastery, and Purpose are the three elements of intrinsic motivation, which he says is far more important.

Based on the above reasoning, you could say that affluent people will already have a greater degree of autonomy, and therefore less motivation.

thorium1010 said:
Does affluence make people lazy and less motivated to strive for excellence in academics ? is there any correlation ?
Just want some opinion or articles that i can read.

What is your working definition of affluence for this discussion?

1. How does affluence affect society?

Affluence, or the state of having a large amount of wealth and resources, can have both positive and negative effects on society. On one hand, it can lead to economic growth and development, improved living standards, and increased opportunities for individuals. However, it can also contribute to income inequality, materialism, and environmental degradation.

2. What are some examples of the impact of affluence on society?

Some examples of the impact of affluence on society include the rise of consumerism and materialistic values, the widening wealth gap between the rich and the poor, and the depletion of natural resources due to overconsumption.

3. How does affluence affect the environment?

The pursuit of affluence can have a significant impact on the environment. As individuals and societies strive for more wealth and material possessions, it often leads to increased consumption and waste. This can contribute to pollution, deforestation, and other forms of environmental degradation.

4. What are the potential consequences of affluence on society?

Some potential consequences of affluence on society include increased materialism and consumerism, decreased social cohesion and community values, and a greater focus on individual success rather than collective well-being. It can also lead to negative effects on mental health and well-being, such as a constant need for more and the pressure to keep up with societal expectations.

5. How can we mitigate the negative impact of affluence on society?

There are several ways we can mitigate the negative impact of affluence on society. This includes promoting sustainable and responsible consumption, implementing policies to reduce income inequality, and fostering a culture of giving back and social responsibility. It is also important to prioritize well-being and happiness over material possessions and to actively work towards creating a more equitable and sustainable society.