DIY Telescope: Optics Guide for Using Magnifying Glasses

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance in creating a homemade telescope and has a couple of magnifying glasses of unknown focal lengths. They plan to measure the focal lengths and are looking for a formula or method to determine the distance between the objective lens and eyepiece for clear and maximum magnification. They also want to know how to fix the inverted image that will be formed by the lenses and whether using a mirror or additional lens would be better. They mention using a pair of prisms for binoculars and ask if Googling "Simple Telescope" Images would be helpful.
lindloda
Okay so I want to make a telescope at home...

Im not a noob. Even if I am please just help me.

I've got a couple of magnifying glasses ..pretty big ..
I don't know the exact focal length...
But one of them is twice the size of other...

As soon as the sun comes up I'll find their focal length s...

What I want to know is how far apart the objective lens and eyepiece should be kept for clear and maximum magnification...
I just need a formula or some way to calculate the dist between them.

Also , how to fix the inverted image that will be formed by using the two lenses I have...I know I'll have to use another lens but again how far should it be placed and of what focal length should it be.
I want an erect image..
Assume I have two lenses of focal length F , one of 2F...if you need...

Please correct me if I'm wrong...anywhere..

I'm willing to get any other materials I might need ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As long as the focal point of the object lens is inside the focal distance of the eyepiece (distance between lenses is less than the sum of the two focal lengths: distance < 3F) you will get magnification. The magnification itself will depend upon how much smaller.

The magnification of a simple (astronomical) telescope, using two lenses is equal to the ratio of their focal lengths. The lens with the longer focal length is used as the 'objective' and the shorter is used for the 'eyepiece'. Most random 'magnifying glasses' will tent to have similar focal lengths so the magnification won't be all that special but you will be able to prove the point easily as long as the focal lengths are at all different.
Btw, you don't need to wait for the sun. A distant light bulb will be quite sufficient to find the approximate focal length.

lindloda said:
What I want to know is how far apart the objective lens and eyepiece should be kept for clear and maximum magnification...
I just need a formula or some way to calculate the dist between them.

Remember that the distance will change if you are looking at terrestrial objects because of the shift in the focus.

Also , how to fix the inverted image that will be formed by using the two lenses I have...I know I'll have to use another lens but again how far should it be placed and of what focal length should it be.
I want an erect image..
Assume I have two lenses of focal length F , one of 2F...if you need...

You may be better off using a mirror set at a 45 degree angle, positioned between the objective and the eyepiece if you have one.

You need the lenses to be separated by the sum of their focal lengths (adjust for focus) but you can do nothing to change the magnification using just two elements.

A single mirror will not restore the image to what you want - it will be laterally inverted. Binoculars use a pair of prisms to invert the image twice so that writing appears correct.

Have you Googled "Simple Telescope" Images yet?

1. What materials do I need to make a DIY telescope using magnifying glasses?

To make a DIY telescope using magnifying glasses, you will need two magnifying glasses, a cardboard tube or PVC pipe, duct tape, scissors, and a tripod or stand to mount the telescope.

2. How do I assemble the magnifying glasses to make a telescope?

First, take the two magnifying glasses and remove the handles or any extra attachments. Then, using duct tape, attach one magnifying glass to one end of the cardboard tube or PVC pipe. Next, attach the other magnifying glass to the other end, making sure they are aligned and facing each other. Secure the magnifying glasses with more duct tape. Finally, attach the telescope to a tripod or stand for stability.

3. How do I adjust the focus of the DIY telescope?

To adjust the focus, hold the cardboard tube or PVC pipe and gently move one of the magnifying glasses closer or further away from the other. This will change the distance between the lenses and allow you to focus on objects at different distances.

4. Can I see planets and stars with a DIY telescope using magnifying glasses?

Yes, you can see some planets and stars with a DIY telescope using magnifying glasses. However, the magnifying glasses may not have enough power to see very distant or small objects in great detail.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a DIY telescope?

Yes, it is important to be cautious when using a DIY telescope. Do not point the telescope at the sun, as this can cause permanent eye damage. Also, be careful when handling the telescope, as the magnifying glasses can be fragile and easily broken. Lastly, always supervise children when using the telescope.