Types of experimental manipulation in Social Psychology

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment where participants are given a fake aptitude test and then told they are competent or not for a job. The experimenters are interested in seeing if those who believe themselves to be incompetent will choose other incompetent people to work with, or if they will choose competent ones. The experiment involves stimulus manipulation and can be classified as instructional manipulations, as the participants are given a specific instruction as part of the experiment's purpose and procedures.
RabbitWho
The only information my textbook gives me is this:

We classify experimental manipulations into three broad types, depending on whether they involve variations in the physical, social, or instructional features of the experimental context.
Social manipulations
are usually dependent on some action of another human being within the experimental situation, often a research accomplice working for the experimenter.
Environmental treatments
entail the s ystematic manipulation of some aspect of the physical setting.
Instructional manipulations
usually are presented to the participant by the experimenter as part of the description of the purposes and procedures of the study(the “ cover story” ).Usually, different treatment varieties are combined in same study, but for illustrative purposes we discuss them as “ pure”types.

(the source is Principals and Methods of Social Research by William D. Cramwell and brewer, but my book doesn't go into as much detail as theirs)

So we're explained an experiment where a person is given an aptitude test and then told they are competent or not to do a job, but regardless of that they are given this job. They then need to decide who will help them do this job and the experimenters are interested in seeing if the people who believe themselves to be incompetent will choose other incompetent people to work with them, or will choose competent ones.

As far as I know the test was fake, and the actual suitability for the job was not related to their answers.

It also involves stimulus manipulation as the people are looking at two different candidates to work with them and the experimenters wanted to find out if perception would be effected or just the decision itself about how to work with.

So which of the three types of manipulation would you say it is?

Seeing as how I have to write a whole essay in Spanish explaining my answer I don't think you'll be spoon feeding me, but I'm really happy with any hint anyone can give me at all.

I would say it can't be environmental, since it's not a physical change that's been being made, it's more their perception of self that's being manipulated. Which leaves the other two... Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, can anybody else answer this?

NeonHD said:
I don't know, can anybody else answer this?
Look at the original post (OP's) date.

Edit: BTW, welcome to PF, and thanks for finding this, and if you could read the "intro sections for new users," everything will be copacetic.

What is experimental manipulation in social psychology?

Experimental manipulation in social psychology refers to intentionally changing or altering a variable in a controlled environment to determine its effect on human behavior or attitudes. This is a common research method used to understand and explore causal relationships between variables.

What are the different types of experimental manipulation in social psychology?

There are several types of experimental manipulation in social psychology, including independent variables, dependent variables, control variables, and confounding variables. Independent variables are manipulated by the researcher, while dependent variables are measured to determine the effect of the manipulation. Control variables are kept constant to reduce the influence of outside factors, and confounding variables are uncontrolled variables that may unintentionally affect the dependent variable.

What is the purpose of experimental manipulation in social psychology?

The purpose of experimental manipulation in social psychology is to understand the cause-and-effect relationships between variables. By manipulating a variable and observing its effect on other variables, researchers can gain insight into human behavior, attitudes, and social interactions. This allows for the development of theories and potential interventions to improve social functioning.

What are the advantages of using experimental manipulation in social psychology?

Experimental manipulation in social psychology allows researchers to establish causality between variables, as the manipulation of the independent variable directly affects the dependent variable. It also allows for the control of extraneous variables, making it easier to isolate the effects of the manipulated variable. Additionally, experimental manipulation can be replicated and tested by other researchers, increasing the reliability and validity of the findings.

What are the limitations of using experimental manipulation in social psychology?

One limitation of experimental manipulation in social psychology is that it may not accurately reflect real-world situations. Participants may behave differently in a controlled laboratory setting than they would in their natural environment. Additionally, ethical considerations must be taken into account when manipulating variables, as researchers must ensure that participants are not harmed or deceived during the study.