How do cables bend and curve when fixed at two points?

In summary, the conversation discusses the modeling of a cable that is fixed at two points and the different scenarios of the cable's curvature. It also mentions the use of a formula or software to simulate the curves and the possibility of using finite element analysis or a simplified estimate. The concept of a "catenary" curve is also brought up. The conversation ends with a mention of using a system of equations to solve for the curve.
dazzler77
Hi I have a cable that is fixed at 2 points, and I would like to model the curve that it bends as the two points move together and further away.

In one scenario, the cable is fixed at both ends (one above the other) like a "C".
In the other scenario, both ends are also fixed in clamps, but it is like an "S"

Is there a formula to show what the curves might look like ({x,y} = z), given some stiffness or minimum bend radius? Is the "C" curve like a cosh

or is there some software that might simulate this? do I need finite element analysis? or is there a simplified estimate?

Engineering news on Phys.org
That brings back bad memories. Solved those equations for an assignment at uni. Although we had to derive the second order non linear equation for the rope, wish I knew the equation beforehand.

Thanks for the replies.
The website http://calculuslab.deltacollege.edu/...1/7-A-1-h.html was very helpful.

However I would like to have it start off horizontal rather than hanging, and curve around and be clamped below horizontal as well, like a "C" shape.

maybe in some ways it's more like compression than hanging.

dazzler77 said:
Thanks for the replies.
The website http://calculuslab.deltacollege.edu/...1/7-A-1-h.html was very helpful.

However I would like to have it start off horizontal rather than hanging, and curve around and be clamped below horizontal as well, like a "C" shape.

maybe in some ways it's more like compression than hanging.
Well yes - cables don't generally hang like that... except if they are very stiff indeed. The approach is the same - the "C" would sag a little depending on the stiffness.

1. How does the material of a cable/wire affect its flexibility?

The material of a cable/wire plays a crucial role in determining its flexibility. Generally, materials that are more malleable and have a lower modulus of elasticity, such as copper and aluminum, are more flexible. On the other hand, materials with a higher modulus of elasticity, such as steel, are less flexible. Additionally, the thickness and diameter of the material also affect its flexibility.

2. What is the maximum angle a cable/wire can bend before breaking?

The maximum angle a cable/wire can bend before breaking depends on various factors, including the material, diameter, and thickness of the wire, as well as the amount of force applied. In general, most cables/wires can bend up to 90 degrees without breaking, but this can vary significantly depending on the specific circumstances.

3. Why do some cables/wires have a protective outer coating?

The outer coating on some cables/wires serves as a protective layer against physical damage and environmental factors. It also helps to increase the flexibility of the wire by reducing friction between the inner wires and the outer surface. Additionally, the coating can provide insulation to prevent electrical shocks and short circuits.

4. How does the diameter of a cable/wire affect its ability to bend?

The diameter of a cable/wire has a significant impact on its flexibility. Generally, the smaller the diameter of the wire, the more flexible it is. This is because smaller wires have a larger surface area-to-volume ratio, making them easier to bend and manipulate compared to thicker wires. However, thinner wires also have a lower weight-bearing capacity and are more susceptible to damage.

5. What factors contribute to a cable/wire losing its flexibility over time?

Several factors can contribute to a cable/wire losing its flexibility over time. These include repeated bending and twisting, exposure to extreme temperatures, and environmental factors such as moisture and chemicals. Additionally, the material of the wire can also play a role, as some materials are more prone to becoming brittle and losing their flexibility over time.