Differential Equations Euler's method

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution y = φ(t) of a given problem and evaluating it at specific values of t. The first problem involves a differential equation y' = 3+t-y and a possible solution of y = t-2e^-t, while the second problem uses Euler's method to approximate y' = 2y-1. The conversation also mentions the importance of using initial conditions when solving differential equations.
andyk23
Find the solution y = φ(t) of the given problem and evaluate φ(t) at t = 0.1, 0.2, 0.3,
and 0.4.

1.y'=3+t-y
y = φ(t)=t-2e^-t
y(1)= 0+(0-2e^0)*(.1)=.8
and the correct answer is 1.19516

2. y'=2y-1

What I'm getting stuck on is do I use the formula y(n)=y(n-1)+f(t(n-1),y(n-1)h because when I do I do not get the same answers as back of the book.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
andyk23 said:
Find the solution y = φ(t) of the given problem and evaluate φ(t) at t = 0.1, 0.2, 0.3,
and 0.4.

1.y'=3+t-y
y = φ(t)=t-2e^-t
Where did you get this? With y= t- 2e^{-t}, y'= 1+ 2e^{-t} while 3+ t- y= 3+ t+ t- 2e^{-t}= 3+ 2t- 2e^{-t}. They are NOT the same. In any case, you cannot get a specific solution to this without some "initial condition".

y(1)= 0+(0-2e^0)*(.1)=.8
and the correct answer is 1.19516

2. y'=2y-1

What I'm getting stuck on is do I use the formula y(n)=y(n-1)+f(t(n-1),y(n-1)h because when I do I do not get the same answers as back of the book.
You are using Euler's method for this? Yes, Euler's method approximates y'= dy/dx by [itex]\Delta y/\Delta x= \Delta y/h[/itex] so your equation becomes [itex]\Delta y/h= f(t, y)[/itex] so that [itex]\Delta y= y_n- y_{n-1}= f(t, y)h[/itex] so that [itex]y_n= y_{n-1}+ f(t, y)h[/itex]. For this problem, f(t, y)= 2y- 1 so you just have [itex]y_n= y_{n-1}+ (2y_{n-1}-1)h[/itex]. What did you get?
(And, again, you cannot solve a first order differential equation for a specific value with an "initial condition". What are you using for t0 and y0?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
y(0)=1/2

What is Euler's method for solving differential equations?

Euler's method is a numerical approach for solving differential equations. It involves approximating the solution by taking small steps along the tangent line at each point and using the slope of the tangent line to estimate the next point. This process is repeated until the desired accuracy is achieved.

How does Euler's method differ from analytical methods for solving differential equations?

Euler's method is a numerical method, meaning it uses computations and approximations to find the solution. Analytical methods, on the other hand, involve finding an exact mathematical expression for the solution.

What are the limitations of Euler's method?

Euler's method can be inaccurate for certain types of differential equations, such as those with rapidly changing slopes or those with complex solutions. It also requires a small step size to achieve a more accurate solution, which can be time-consuming.

How can I improve the accuracy of Euler's method?

The accuracy of Euler's method can be improved by decreasing the step size or using a higher order method, such as the improved Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method. These methods involve taking multiple steps and using more complex calculations to achieve a more accurate solution.

Can Euler's method be used for all types of differential equations?

No, Euler's method is best suited for first-order differential equations. It can also be applied to higher-order equations by converting them into a system of first-order equations. However, for certain types of equations, other numerical methods may be more efficient and accurate.