Solve Enjoyable Enigmas with Mr.E's Challenge

• Thread starter Enigman
  • Start date
In summary: Four princes approach the king vying for the hand of the princess. In order to choose the best among the four suitors the king and the princess arrange a test: the suitors are brought to a large rectangular hall. The floor is covered with a carpet all over except at the corners- where there are four squares of bare floor and the suitors are told to stand at these corner. Each suitor takes a corner and stands there while the princess stands at the center of the hall. The king then proclaims the prince who without leaving their respective squares shall put a ring on the princess's hand will be declared to be the bridegroom of his daughter and the heir to Enigmania. No ropes or rods are
Enigman said:
You and Newt (on), mes enfants...Collinsmark was right.
So, I was right before when you thought you could make me think I already had my $100.00, but since I didn't fall for that you're now redefining me as wrong.

This contest is rigged. You're all about scamming the winners out of their prizes. I bet collinsmark never sees a penny of his million.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lol Zshoe!

Gad said:
Lol Zshoe!

And don't bother figuring out the beer barrel. You'll never see a drop of that hypothetical beer.

:rofl:

By Einstein's mythical socks! I haven't laughed so hard in ages...
zoobyshoe said:
So, I was right before when you thought you could make me think I already had my $100.00, but since I didn't fall for that you're now redefining me as wrong.
I am not redefining any zoobies, Collinsmark proved your reasoning to be wrong... Also you answered the question as to what you had done to get the prize money after you had got it.

This contest is rigged. You're all about scamming the winners out of their prizes.
*no comments*- :blushing:
I bet collinsmark never sees a penny of his million.
After he spends his year in Venus, he would... Reaching there is his responsibility, but I promise to send required supplies there...

As for the beer, well solve it and see...:wink:

... I'm pretty sure I can accurately tell beer level in the barrel, just show me the thing. :biggrin:

10750665-beer-barrel.jpg

Through that hole?

Last edited:
Enigman said:
I am not redefining any zoobies,
This is a logical fallacy called a "straw man". I never said you were redefining any zoobies. I said you were redefining Archimedes.
Collinsmark proved your reasoning to be wrong...
Yes, the reasoning, not the answer. There's no prohibition against accidentally correct answers. Besides, collinsmark was baffled by the fruit and wanted to feed it to Gad.
Also you answered the question as to what you had done to get the prize money after you had got it.
No, you questioned the response to my interrogative about the pre-post prize money award, before I had even answered your after-the-fact, and subtended denial prior to collinsmark having told Omcheeto about the cork in the bottom of the beer barrel.
*no comments*- :blushing:
Fifth ammendment. I figured.
After he spends his year in Venus, he would... Reaching there is his responsibility, but I promise to send required supplies there...
He'll be incinerated and dissolved. Great way to get out of paying him.
As for the beer, well solve it and see...:wink:
This is a tough one, but I think the solution hinges on one's ability to tell whether the barrel is exactly half empty or exactly half full.

Enigman said:
10750665-beer-barrel.jpg

Through that hole?

AAAHaaahaahaahaha. I was thinking a standing open barrel. OK. :biggrin:

You can stand it up, stand on it, roll it, tilt it, carry it over your head, as far as I am concerned...Just don't break it or spill any beer...
that was a hint

zoobyshoe said:
... you're now redefining me as wrong

zoobyshoe said:
This is a logical fallacy called a "straw man". I never said you were redefining any zoobies. I said you were redefining Archimedes.
Did you just claim to be Archimedes? I WANT AN AUTOGRAPH!

He'll be incinerated and dissolved. Great way to get out of paying him.
:devil:

This is a tough one, but I think the solution hinges on one's ability to tell whether the barrel is exactly half empty or exactly half full.
Nope, its about symmetry l yrtemmys

Is there an inclined ground of a certain angle to get this barrel with no force applied go down like a rolling stone?...:biggrin:

It's easy if it's a lot more or less than half. I can't think of a way to tell the difference between half or merely close to half without instruments.

A huge hint: the hole is big enough so that you can see the top edge of the bottom of the barrel and the bottom edge of the top of the barrel, check the picture...

Last edited:
Enigman said:
A huge hint: the hole is big enough so that you can see the top edge of the bottom of the barrel and the bottom edge of the top of the barrel, check the picture...
That is a huge hint. I got it now. I'll let Gad consider that hint for a while.

*blank stare*.. Next one please.

Gad said:
*blank stare*.. Next one please.
Another clue: you can take a rectangle and draw a line from one corner to the opposite corner making two triangles that are exactly equal in all ways, congruent triangles.

Next puzzle, I don't drink beer. :biggrin:

Gad said:

I drink beer, and I have not a clue how to solve this puzzle.

How do you tell if there is +/- one molecules worth of grog in that flask?

I'm 99.9999% sure that this is not something that one can solve with science.

This is a word game.

OmCheeto said:
How do you tell if there is +/- one molecules worth of grog in that flask?
It's obvious the tolerance isn't that tight. The tolerance is more like a half pitcher either way.

Gad said:

zoobyshoe said:
It's obvious the tolerance isn't that tight. The tolerance is more like a half pitcher either way.

sorry...

unsubscribed... (I really am, really stupid)

:redface:

Tilt the barrel till beer reaches the rim of barrel, at that point if you can see the top edge of bottom of barrel, it is half filled, if you can see the bottom of barrel its less than half, if not its more than half. I'm going to be busy for the next week; hence the prompt answer.
Regards.

Resubscribe.

A Norwegian, an Italian, and an American jump from a plane.

Who lands last?

OmCheeto said:
Resubscribe.

A Norwegian, an Italian, and an American jump from a plane.

Who lands last?

Ok. That was silly.

Today, I have been sharing these puzzles, at work, ad absurd am.
It was my observation, that everyone was enjoying the conversation.

But then I realized, that the FBD I'd drawn on my hand, voiced by Zoob, was the solution, to the previous question.

pf.omg.um.two.enigmas.in.one.2013.09.12.2019.jpg

I felt very silly. :blushing:

Enigman said:
Tilt the barrel till beer reaches the rim of barrel, at that point if you can see the top edge of bottom of barrel, it is half filled, if you can see the bottom of barrel its less than half, if not its more than half. I'm going to be busy for the next week; hence the prompt answer.
Regards.

Ok. That makes sense.

But, when's the last time someone saw a symmetric barrel, in real life?

Until Enigman is back, you give the next puzzle/s Om!

:biggrin:

Gad said:
Until Enigman is back, you give the next puzzle/s Om!

:biggrin:

But, I don't know any puzzles.

I suppose I could post the puzzle that is the basis for the reason why I would unsubscribe from a thread in a tantrum*. hmmm...

You are a dipstick manufacturer in Denver.
Hans, in Munich Germany, needs you to design a dipstick that measures the quantity of beer in his barrel.

Here's a picture of the barrel:

10750665-beer-barrel.jpg

You don't have a computer, but you are very good at math. In fact, you are the smartest mathematician in the world.

Why can't you figure out where to put the marks on the dipstick. With the possible exceptions of full, half full, and empty? :tongue:​

---------------------
* The mere image of a sideways cylinder makes my blood boil.

Oh. I know that one.

Because the dipsick-mathematician and Hans can't agree on whether it is better to know if the the barell is half full or half empty.

Last edited:
I'll recycle something from a Sherlock Holmes story:

Sherlock Holmes' sidekick, Dr. Watson, was a medical doctor. When he set up practice he took over the office and clients of a doctor who was retiring from a life-long practice there. This office was on the second floor of a wooden building. There happened to be another Doctor in the same building, but access to his office was by a different set of stairs. By coincidence, the doctor currently there also took over the office and clients from a previous doctor who retired from life-long practice there, about the same time as Watson's predecessor.

The first times Holmes visited Watson's office he instantly congratulated him on having taken over for the far more successful of the two previous doctors. He was right, but Watson was baffled by how he could have known that was the case.

How could Holmes know, with a mere superficial look at the exterior of the two different offices, that Watson's predecessor had been the more popular and sought after doctor?

zoobyshoe said:
I'll recycle something from a Sherlock Holmes story:

Sherlock Holmes' sidekick[Mr.E-WHAT? sidekick sounds so derogatory...how about chronicler?], Dr. Watson, was a medical doctor. When he set up practice he took over the office and clients of a doctor who was retiring from a life-long practice there. This office was on the second floor of a wooden building. There happened to be another Doctor in the same building, but access to his office was by a different set of stairs. By coincidence, the doctor currently there also took over the office and clients from a previous doctor who retired from life-long practice there, about the same time as Watson's predecessor.

The first times Holmes visited Watson's office he instantly congratulated him on having taken over for the far more successful of the two previous doctors. He was right, but Watson was baffled by how he could have known that was the case.

How could Holmes know, with a mere superficial look at the exterior of the two different offices, that Watson's predecessor had been the more popular and sought after doctor?
:biggrin: Just a drive-by...

Enigman said:
:biggrin: Just a drive-by...
I know you're a Holmes fan, though, and may simply remember the answer. And in the story, Holmes blurts it out before the reader has time to ponder.

I'm wondering if, in the absence of such a spoiler, people can think of plausible clues. It's stipulated one doctor had a far better clientele for his whole career. Given the above info about the building and layout, what difference might we expect to see?

zoobyshoe said:
I know you're a Holmes fan, though, and may simply remember the answer
Honestly, I didn't -wouldn't have answered it if I already knew it.
And in the story, Holmes blurts it out before the reader has time to ponder.
Holmes never 'blurts' he 'remarks'. Doyle uses that word almost exclusively for Holmes' deductions.
I'm wondering if, in the absence of such a spoiler, people can think of plausible clues. It's stipulated one doctor had a far better clientèle for his whole career. Given the above info about the building and layout, what difference might we expect to see?
Offhand I would say the extent of wearing out of benches in waiting room could serve as a pointer, especially towards the edges -If its too crowded. Recent renovations, better taste in decoration etc. would be other considerations. The face of the receptionist may be a clue too...
God, I need to stop procrastinating...I will have to unsubscribe from this thread...phone rings up at every post and shows annoying alerts about new posts...and I am a sucker for puzzles.

Next one:
Find the next in series
3,1,4,1,5,9,2,_?

Archie hates you all...

Last edited:
Is it 7?

<h2>1. What is "Solve Enjoyable Enigmas with Mr.E's Challenge"?</h2><p>"Solve Enjoyable Enigmas with Mr.E's Challenge" is a puzzle game designed to challenge and entertain players of all ages. It features a variety of fun and challenging enigmas that will test your problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.</p><h2>2. Who is Mr.E and what is his role in the game?</h2><p>Mr.E is the mysterious host of the game who will guide you through each enigma and provide hints if you get stuck. He is a master of puzzles and riddles and his goal is to challenge and entertain players.</p><h2>3. How many levels are there in the game?</h2><p>There are a total of 50 levels in "Solve Enjoyable Enigmas with Mr.E's Challenge". Each level presents a unique enigma that will require you to think outside the box and use your problem-solving skills.</p><h2>4. Can I play this game with friends or family?</h2><p>Yes, "Solve Enjoyable Enigmas with Mr.E's Challenge" can be played with friends or family. You can take turns solving the enigmas or work together as a team to solve them. It's a great way to bond and have fun together!</p><h2>5. Is this game suitable for all ages?</h2><p>Yes, "Solve Enjoyable Enigmas with Mr.E's Challenge" is suitable for all ages. The enigmas are designed to be challenging but not too difficult, making it a fun and enjoyable experience for players of all ages.</p>

1. What is "Solve Enjoyable Enigmas with Mr.E's Challenge"?

"Solve Enjoyable Enigmas with Mr.E's Challenge" is a puzzle game designed to challenge and entertain players of all ages. It features a variety of fun and challenging enigmas that will test your problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

2. Who is Mr.E and what is his role in the game?

Mr.E is the mysterious host of the game who will guide you through each enigma and provide hints if you get stuck. He is a master of puzzles and riddles and his goal is to challenge and entertain players.

3. How many levels are there in the game?

There are a total of 50 levels in "Solve Enjoyable Enigmas with Mr.E's Challenge". Each level presents a unique enigma that will require you to think outside the box and use your problem-solving skills.

4. Can I play this game with friends or family?

Yes, "Solve Enjoyable Enigmas with Mr.E's Challenge" can be played with friends or family. You can take turns solving the enigmas or work together as a team to solve them. It's a great way to bond and have fun together!

5. Is this game suitable for all ages?

Yes, "Solve Enjoyable Enigmas with Mr.E's Challenge" is suitable for all ages. The enigmas are designed to be challenging but not too difficult, making it a fun and enjoyable experience for players of all ages.