Donkey bridge to remember amino acids?

In summary, the term "donkey bridge" is used to make an associative link between things to be remembered. It is similar to a mnemonic device and can be used to remember the structures and characteristics of amino acids, as well as other information. The best mnemonic devices are often ones that are personal and even raunchy.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
lol, I hope that a donkey bridge is a used term in English? I'll explain it, just in case.. it is to make an associative link between things to be remembered.

Is there any easy way to learn the structures of all the 20 aminoacids and whether they are polar/nonpolar/charged?

It would be nice to be able to look at a missense mutation (one that changes the aminoacid of a codon) and predict by head whether that mutation will affect the characteristics of the protein or not.

I guess I can start with putting the structures on my notebook's background..

Biology news on Phys.org
The only use of the term donkey bridge (in Latin pons asinorum) that I know is in connection with Euclid's geometry and his proof that if the angles at the base of a triangle are equal, then the triangle is isoceles. The construction in Euclid's original proof looks a little like a bridge, and in the middle ages this proof was the "cut" for eliminating students who just couldn't grok axiomatic geometry, so, "bridge of asses".

I assume that for you it has the meaning of a handy mnemonic?

Mnemonic? If that means the same thing as a donkey bridge (associative link for the not so smart).. Yes!

The best mnemonic devices are the ones you make up yourself. And let me tell you, the raunchier it is, the better. I don't know why, probably just some weird little quirk in the human brain. It helped me remember the common names for the saturated and unsaturated C10-C20 fatty acids.

1. What is a donkey bridge for remembering amino acids?

A donkey bridge is a mnemonic device used to help remember the 20 different amino acids found in proteins. It uses a catchy phrase or sentence to associate with each amino acid, making it easier to recall them when needed.

2. Why is it important to remember amino acids?

Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, which are essential for all living organisms. They play crucial roles in various biological processes, such as enzyme catalysis, cell signaling, and structural support.

3. How does a donkey bridge work?

A donkey bridge works by creating a visual or auditory association between the name of the amino acid and its corresponding property or structure. This connection makes it easier for the brain to remember and retrieve the information when needed.

4. Can anyone use a donkey bridge to remember amino acids?

Yes, a donkey bridge is a simple and effective way to remember amino acids and can be used by anyone, regardless of their background or level of knowledge in science.

5. Are there different donkey bridges for remembering amino acids?

Yes, there are multiple donkey bridges that have been created by different individuals or groups. Some may be more popular or easier to remember than others, but ultimately, it is up to personal preference which one to use.