What Formula Calculates the Force on a Mass by a Pole?

• Thread starter benhorris
  • Start date
In summary, a question was asked about finding the average force exerted by a pole on a mass. The given information included the mass, velocity, distance pushed, and gravity. After some discussion on the concept of work and kinetic energy, it was determined that the work done by the force is equal to the kinetic energy transferred by the mass. Using this relationship, the average force was found to be 27kN. The question was ultimately solved with the help of Daniel and Ben's collaboration.
benhorris
Heres a question for you, can't work out what formula to use so i need some help.

A mass of 220KG, hits a cylindrical pole into the ground. Just before it hits the velocity of the mass is 10ms-1.

The pole is pushed 0.4 m into the ground, when the mass is droped 5m onto the pole. G = 9.8ms-2.

Show that the average force exerted by the pole on the mass is 27kN.

I just can't work it out! i know its simple but if someone can explain it to me id much appreciate it as I've spent nearly 30 mins on this one question and its only worth 2 marks..

Thanks in advance.

Ben.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably there's no friction between the pole & the mass,so u'll have to assume that the force required will do work in pushing the pole.So the work done is equal to the KE transferred by the mass.

Daniel.

KE =0.5mv^2

hence 0.5x220x100 = 11000 J

? Now what - stuck on this Q and its very annoying...

Yes,but for a collinear force,the work is simply W=F*d...

Daniel.

Arnt i a numpty... hehe.

W=f*D
11000/0.4 =f

f =27500N

Duh, flippin ek. Always the simple ones that get me..

Thanks by the way. I am sure i have tested your intellectual capabilities to the utmost extreme levels. ...

;-)

Thanks once again.

Don't worry,i had the head-ache before looking over your problem...:tongue2: It's just that now,i suddenly feel it more intensely...

Daniel.

P.S.OUCH!

1. What is a simple problem in science?

A simple problem in science refers to a relatively straightforward issue or question that can be easily understood and solved through scientific methods and reasoning.

2. How do scientists approach simple problems?

Scientists approach simple problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable pieces and using the scientific method to gather data, form hypotheses, and conduct experiments to find a solution.

3. Why are simple problems important in science?

Simple problems are important in science because they often serve as the foundation for more complex research and discoveries. By solving simple problems, scientists can gain a better understanding of larger, more complex issues.

4. Can simple problems lead to groundbreaking discoveries?

Yes, simple problems can lead to groundbreaking discoveries. Many scientific breakthroughs and advancements have started with a simple problem or question that sparked curiosity and led to further research and experimentation.

5. How can simple problems be applied in everyday life?

Simple problems in science can be applied in everyday life by helping us understand and solve practical issues. For example, simple problems in physics can help engineers design more efficient buildings, and simple problems in biology can lead to the development of new medicines.